Austin A35 fuel economy test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
You must remember back in those days we bought 4* petrol for 5/- a gallon. I could easily do Lincolnshire to Bournemouth on a £1 note 40mpg in my 850 mini.

CXRAndy

Guru
I wouldn't mind an A35 van to be honest. Lots of character, should be a simple and inexpensive classic to look after and it ticks the most important box in Tyred's car buying criteria - room for a bike. I only do a few thousand miles per annum nowadays and it can't be any less reliable than my stupid Fabia.

Starting at £15k

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Drago

Legendary Member
Just watched the video. Interesting.

I'd like to see it done in an A35 today in modern urban traffic and then at modern motorway speeds. As good as it is it won't be well into the 70's MPG that my relatively humble hatchback returns me while seating 5 and bristling with safety and comfort kit.

Still and all, a good result indeed for the time and a lovely film to watch. A bit of a time capsule with some tech talk thrown in.

Useless fact - our Chief Constable is a car man and has an A35 and an RS2000.

presta

Guru
My parents Moggy was KPP 123, funny how you remember stuff like that all these years later

YKE 594J

.....was the registration of a stranger's Maxi that crashed into the back of my father's mate's Capri when it was parked outside the house ~45 years ago whilst they went bowling.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My mother had a Metro with a 1.0 A-series engine. It did 42mpg when she got it (on a run). By the time she sold it a few years later, it was doing 24mpg and the exhaust smoke was yicky, despite regular professional servicing. Cars used to wear out quickly in those days.

I started off with an old Morris Minor 1000, then a 1965 Austin Mini 850 Super De Luxe, a 1970 Morris Mini 1000 and finally an Austin Metro 1300HLS. They all did around late 30 to 40 mpg and I didn't hang around .

Top Bottom