Back From the C2C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I completed the C2C with a pal at 22:15 last night. It was an eventful three days which incorporated:

Having a new cassette and chain fitted in Whitehaven before setting off. Looking for the wrong campsite in the dark.
Front wheel puncture on the Winlatter pass descent.
Getting hunger knock so badly that we wild camped rather than pedal/push another three miles.
Have low cloud move in on or second night of camping.
Discovering that the thermal insulation of my sleeping bag has disappeared.
Pedalling in low cloud/mist for nearly all of day three.
Nearly getting blown off my bike by the wind in the low visibility above Stanhope.

Despite all of the above, it was a great three days out an about. I'll put some pictures in the touring section in the next day or so. I don't recall any of my previous crossing to be as challenging. I was glad that my riding partner wanted to end at Tynemouth as the ride along the spur from Consett to Tynemouth was quite appealing once the visibility improved. Newcastle quayside was great in the dusk/dark - much bette than the route into Sunderland.

Now to finish my Flying Gate if the outstanding bits arrive in the next day or so.

Sounds like a bit of an adventure!

You'll be so much more clued-up for the next one!

Good stuff. :evil:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Dayvo said:
Sounds like a bit of an adventure!

You'll be so much more clued-up for the next one!

Good stuff. ;)

Thing is is that I shouldn't have been caught out with:

• Cassette - the chain was skipping before I set off but I chose to blame the stiff dérailleur and trusted that it would loosen up having been lubed. It was all fine when the Galaxy was laid up over winter. Should have test ridden the bike before setting off.
  • Hunger knock - I know only too well the perils but still failed to eat for the load as well as myself. C2C is not flat and I should have factored in extra calories. Nutrition sorted by the final day.
  • I knew the sleeping bag was marginal. A couple of layers of clothing made things bearable.
  • Punctures - occupational hazard. The glass bypassed the Kevlar and went for the sidewall. The Winlatter puncture was a strange one - the rim tape had migrated and the tube dropped into the cup thingy that houses a spoke nipple.
  • Navigation - I should trust my own judgement more than my ride buddies.
None of the above was a serious impediment to the enjoyment of the ride. The only spoiler was the appalling visibility and strong headwinds on the final day. Having to pedal down hill and, when there was no wind, having to descend at a moderate pace because of the poor visibility took the edge of the pay backs for the energy expenditures on the climbs.

I think that I'll have another go in the summer - I want to see the stretch from Consett to the Tyne in good visibility and I want to enjoy the descents unimpeded by 5-10m visibility and air braking courtesy of the wind.

Nexty camping expedition will be at Knockengorroch late May.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
:Looking forward to seeing the pics... don't like the sound of the sleeping bag... I am on the hunt for a new one too - I went camping at the weekend with the kids in the Peak District and it was very cold.:becool:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

summerdays said:
:Looking forward to seeing the pics... don't like the sound of the sleeping bag... I am on the hunt for a new one too - I went camping at the weekend with the kids in the Peak District and it was very cold.:becool:

The sleeping bag had previously served me well. My riding partner also felt the cold with a sleeping bag that had previously served him well. The weather was very cold and we were camping on the top of the Pennines. The day's riding in the clouds and mist was very cold.

Top Bottom