Back on the Road Bike tomorrow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I have been on the MTB since October for the 30 mile commute, mostly because it had the mudguards on it. Been off all week and the MTB had taken a battering over the winter, I never cleaned it once, just kept it going, knowing that come the swap over to road it would get serviced by me. So I have a really enjoyable week with the bike cleaning it etc.

Tuesday - Strip all components off from frame, wheels off and forks and head set dismantled. BB out and thrown away as it was knackered. Frame completely cleaned up along with forks. Head set cleaned and re assembled and put back together. Wheels cleaned and tyres washed etc. Rear wheel has cracked rim, which explains the buckle. New one ordered !

Wednesday - Front and rear gear mechs taken apart cleaned. One jockey wheel replaced. Brakes cleaned and new pads fitted to rear. Front brake and gear mech attached to frame. 6 hours of that was enough!

Thursday - Went to see my mother !

Friday - attached rear brake and rear gear mech.

Saturday - Crank and chain rings cleaned up and re assembled. Seat post and attachments removed cleaned and re assembled.

Sunday - Tyre on front wheel and inner in and pumped up. Crank and new BB fitted. New chain sized to correct length. Road bike off the wall in garage, wheels re attached, pumped up and a once over given just to check. Lights added back on.

So waiting for new rear wheel to arrive, then just rear disc rotor to fit with tyre etc. The new chain back on, new cassette and then the shake down and re adjustment of everything.

I love a clean bike and have really enjoyed the week off tinkering with it and getting it back to show room condition.

So back on the road bike tomorrow, its going to feel like riding a razor blade! So back to under the hour commute I hope !

Just thought I would share !!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I too find bike fettling rather therapeutic. Me, a warm cuppa (or beer) alone in my relatively warm garage. Can't beat it.

Wife and kids have labelled the garage as my favourite room in the house

potsy

Rambler
Just got my road bike ready for a bit of commuting duty this coming week, though like crankarm says I'm not expecting to be on it for too long before the next bit of bad weather hits :cold:

Crankarm

Guru
Well I have been on the MTB since October for the 30 mile commute, mostly because it had the mudguards on it. Been off all week and the MTB had taken a battering over the winter, I never cleaned it once, just kept it going, knowing that come the swap over to road it would get serviced by me. So I have a really enjoyable week with the bike cleaning it etc.

Tuesday - Strip all components off from frame, wheels off and forks and head set dismantled. BB out and thrown away as it was knackered. Frame completely cleaned up along with forks. Head set cleaned and re assembled and put back together. Wheels cleaned and tyres washed etc. Rear wheel has cracked rim, which explains the buckle. New one ordered !

Wednesday - Front and rear gear mechs taken apart cleaned. One jockey wheel replaced. Brakes cleaned and new pads fitted to rear. Front brake and gear mech attached to frame. 6 hours of that was enough!

Thursday - Went to see my mother !

Friday - attached rear brake and rear gear mech.

Saturday - Crank and chain rings cleaned up and re assembled. Seat post and attachments removed cleaned and re assembled.

Sunday - Tyre on front wheel and inner in and pumped up. Crank and new BB fitted. New chain sized to correct length. Road bike off the wall in garage, wheels re attached, pumped up and a once over given just to check. Lights added back on.

So waiting for new rear wheel to arrive, then just rear disc rotor to fit with tyre etc. The new chain back on, new cassette and then the shake down and re adjustment of everything.

I love a clean bike and have really enjoyed the week off tinkering with it and getting it back to show room condition.

So back on the road bike tomorrow, its going to feel like riding a razor blade! So back to under the hour commute I hope !

Just thought I would share !!

Lots of dirty nitrile gloves then ..................................

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Lots of dirty nitrile gloves then ..................................

LOL too right mate, you can never have enough latex.
had go and buy some extra !!
You may be right about being out early on the roadie, but the MTB wheel has not yet been delivered, so it my only way at the mo, as the MTB is only half finished!
But I am praying for no rain tomorrow and a wheel delivery at work

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
I too find bike retting rather therapeutic. Me, a warm cuppa (or beer) alone in my relatively warm garage. Can't beat it.

Wife and kids have labelled the garage as my favourite room in the house

I love being in the garage!
I dream of a double garage !, so the car can stay in rather than having to push it in and out every time I want to tinker with the bikes in there !

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Well the roads were damp this morning which annoyed the hell out of me, as my bike is dirty again. The weather in this country is just shoot, and drives me mad.
But the road bike is just sheer luxury. back to work in under the hour, its just so fast and nice not to be overtaken again!
I think the 5 months on the MTB have really paid off for the leg strength. So tomorrow I am going to have an extra 15 mins in bed as I arrived at work waaaayyy too early today!
Lets keep looking forward to summer, there has to be one surely !

potsy

Rambler
I too got to work much earlier than usual, a combination of using the road bike and a fairly decent tailwind :thumbsup:

Back on the CX tomorrow, forecast is for snow/sleet/rain and more wind :cry:

Top Bottom