Bad omens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FBOAB

Hi all!
Well I think I've had the bad day of all bad days yesterday. I work at a bus company in the black country as an engineer. 'I know I'll pootle to work on my bike today' thought I. One pleasurable trip later (only 6 miles but I'm working on it) and busying myself with tasks in hand I decided to wash off one of the buses in the doorway. I reversed the bus and managed to collide with one of the roof supports in the garage. CLANG!!! I dive off and look for damage only to find the roof of the garage collapsing onto the bus (Honest, I'm not making this up!) Lots of fire engines, ambulances for me (went indo deep shock and massive panic attack), police and railtrack (oh yes I forgot to mention the garage is next door to the main line London-Manchester) and many hours later a very subdued engineer cycles slowly home from what remains of his workplace, the roof of wich is now being supported by the bus which is slowly collapsing under the weight. I'm beggining to think that this cycling lark is bloody dangerous....

Update today: The Sandwell council structional engineer has been round and not only condemmed the building but called for its prompt demolition. He mentioned that if I did what I did in a single decker, I wouldn't be here to tell the tale. I think I'm the only one on the forum who has written off a whole bus garage!!

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/10/22/roof-falls-as-bus-crashes/

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wow! Forum schmorum. I think writing off a whole bus garage may well be a one-off. Well done! How many of us can claim a truly unique achievement?

CLANG!!! Are you sure it was just a clang?

I suppose it could be worse. You could've brought the roof down on your bike.

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Just bought new winter commuter off ebay and I was giving a test ride. Left it in the garage and it took all of my persuaive skills for to let the fire brigade to allow me to get it back out..

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
maybe get a job as an after-dinner speaker. i hear you can bring the house down :smile:

OP
OP
F

FBOAB

Yes, it's still my workplace. Boss and even our landlord have been very good about what was in reality an unfortunate series of events that culminated in this happening. The problem when the toy box is full of big heavy things. I reakon I was going about 2mph (there's a lockout on the bus that drops its gear when it reaches 4mph so it was impossible to go quickly at all) when I hit the pillar but in something that weighs 10 tonne and with hitting the pillar square on was enough to pop it out from under the roof support.

Yeah, one hell of a bollock, I'd say. People say not to worry as they can see it was a genuine accident but it's not stopping me beating myself up about it..:smile:

Top Bottom