Bar End Shifter confusion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Having moved back to bar end shifters on one bike, I'm still thinking that having to pull the lever upwards for cable pull is confusing.

With bar ends on drop handle bars you move the lever the opposite way to a down tube shifter.

I could always install the bar end shifters upside down to resolve this issue, but then the cable would be ontop of the handle bars.

Yes, I'll get used to bar end levers again after a while, but when changing between downtube and bar end shifters on different bikes causes initial confusion. :wacko:

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Aren't bar end shifters a design flaw full stop?!🤣🤣🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If you really want to fry your mind, how about this set up. Bar ends set up facing forward!!

CIMG2761.JPG

scragend

Having moved back to bar end shifters on one bike, I'm still thinking that having to pull the lever upwards for cable pull is a design flaw.

Using downtube shifters, you push the lever downwards for cable pull.

I could always install the bar end shifters upside down to resolve this issue, but then the cable would be ontop of the handle bars.

Yes, I'll get used to this bar end flaw again after a while, but when changing between downtube and bar end shifters on different bikes causes me an initial confusion. :wacko:

Seems logical to me. You want to pull the cable, you pull the lever. Can't really say I've thought about it before though, I just do it. I've never used downtube shifters.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Not sure what you mean? DT shifters pulling the lever back pulls the cable (and moves the chain to a larger ring or sprocket). Same with bar ends. Or am I being dense?

If you really want to fry your mind, how about this set up. Bar ends set up facing forward!!

View attachment 668777

668777.jpg

I see, that explains your comment, you are using cow horn type handle bars, but I'm using drop handle bars, so the bar end shifter faces the other way on drop bars.

campeur%2Bdt%2Bbokeh.jpg

barendshifter301.jpg

presta

Guru
Pulling the cable on my rear derailleur shifts it to the right onto the small sprocket, so pulling the bar end lever up changes the gear up.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't have any bikes with downtube levers. My tourer has bar-ends. The TT iron had bar-ends on the aero-bars, so facing forward. Simple and reliable. Not sure why any cyclist would see them as a problem. Three other bikes have Ergo levers, and the fixed has a 15mm spanner carried in the saddlebag (to turn the wheel round).

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I don't have any bikes with downtube levers. My tourer has bar-ends. The TT iron had bar-ends on the aero-bars, so facing forward. Simple and reliable. Not sure why any cyclist would see them as a problem. Three other bikes have Ergo levers, and the fixed has a 15mm spanner carried in the saddlebag (to turn the wheel round).

My only point was that to change gear with the bar end levers on drop handle bars, you have to move the lever in the opposite direction compared with downtube levers. Which is confusing if you have spent most of your life using downtube levers.

I like bar end shifters. :okay:

My only point was that to change gear with the bar end levers on drop handle bars, you have to move the lever in the opposite direction compared with downtube levers. Which is confusing if you have spent most of your life using downtube levers.

I like bar end shifters. :okay:

Aah. That sounds more confusing than having used Shimano STI for decades and then getting SRAM gears.

I mess up a gear change every time I swap between them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That sounds more confusing than having used Shimano STI for decades and then getting SRAM gears.
I have been using Campagnolo Ergopower for well over 20 years but it only took me about 1 minute to get used to SRAM double-tap.

I DO have a bit more difficulty switching back and forth between Ergopower and STI though!

Top Bottom