BB30A Worries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So, I am having a bit of a saga with Canyon on a bike ordered in August, so am now looking at a Cannondale instead.

I have heard all sorts of issues with the BB30 and creaking which initially worried me , although the 'fixes' mentioned seem easy enough. However I find that the bike I want has a BB30A fitted which it seems is 73mm rather than 68mm with the extra 5mm on the non drive side.

So I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with as 'the internet' seems to be full of misinformation and conjecture.

1.) Has anyone heard of problems with BB30A?
2.) Does the design of BB30A do anything to prevent the BB30 issues?
3.) Does BB30A tie me up in the future in regards to new BBs or new chain sets? Can I run chainsets designed for BB30 with less spacers, will BB30A or equivalent bottom brackets be around in 20 years, are there any reliable BB30A convertors available?

Basically - should I forget about the Cannondale because of the BB30A?

Citius

The fundamentals of BB30A are the same as BB30. In other words, it will still end up as a rumbling pile of press-fit junk..

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have a PF30 Cannondale. Not had any problems in 5800 miles ridden in all weathers. I have ridden it for 6100 within the first two weeks the original was shot on the non driveside. So replaced it at an LBS he threw a fair bit of grease at it and not a problem since. It was exactly the same story with my Boardman CX BB30. My theory is they ship them light on grease and the non drive side is more exposed. If I bought another BB30 or PF30 bike I would get it done straight away.

Assuming this is similar to BB30/PF30

My other bike came with Praxis Works PF30 BB adapter.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From what I gather the praxis won't work on the BB30a because of the extra width. I am certain I don't want the squeak that others report on the regular BB, so I may invest in some loctite and spend some time on youtube just concerned about future compatibility. Canyon have well and truly let me down, so I hoping for a positive experience from Cannondale.

Top Bottom