BBC One show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
AAAArrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

The BBC have just trotted out their usual ill informed crap on the invention of the bicycle.:biggrin: A whle ago they did the same thing on the pneumatic tyre.:biggrin:

TVC

I never go near that programme, it's an anti Adrian Chiles thing.

So Roger, are you guys going to be at the Leicester Riverside Festival this weekend?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hilldodger said:
AAAArrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

The BBC have just trotted out their usual ill informed crap on the invention of the bicycle.:biggrin: A whle ago they did the same thing on the pneumatic tyre.:biggrin:

So who did invent the bicycle?

The locals around Thornhill think it was the chap highlighted in the program.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The Velvet Curtain said:

So Roger, are you guys going to be at the Leicester Riverside Festival this weekend?

I saw the programme for the first time tonight. It was hate at first sight.

TVC

vernon said:
I saw the programme for the first time tonight. It was hate at first sight.

The Chiles thing goes back to him asking Nicole Cooke if she ever fell off and scraped her knee. - Twunt!

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
The Velvet Curtain said:

Some of our bikes will be but the council won't pay us to do events - all the money goes to Environ.

We're doing a big event in Derby on sunday instead

OP
OP
Hilldodger

Hilldodger

Guru
vernon said:
So who did invent the bicycle?

The locals around Thornhill think it was the chap highlighted in the program.

There's little proof he even built a bicycle, it was probably a hand cranked three wheeler. The machine attributed to him is more likely to have been built a few years later by Gavin Dalzell

It's well regarded that Pierre and Ernst Micheax built the first bicycle in Paris.

And don't get me started on John Boyd Dunlop.

Crankarm

Guru
The One show report claimed the pedal bicycle was first invented by a Kirkpatrick MacMillen, never heard of him. The presenter was that foxy babe from kids TV/Blue Peter I think. Prior to this first pedal cycle with the pedals on the front wheel driving the rear using rod linkages it was said that bikes had a solid seat positioned between the front and rear wheels and riders propelled themselves using their feet as a transmission had yet to be invented. This was only a small part of the feature. The rest was about cycling in what ever beautiful area it was. They also featured Danny Macaskill doing some of his stunts for a Bike Week festival. On balance the piece was lighthearted and very favourable to cycling which makes a pleasant change :ohmy:. Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley are only the presenters. As much as I like AC I prefer looking at CB :biggrin:. Kirsty Young was also on the couch :biggrin:.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kvd0p/The_One_Show_01_06_2009/

sheddy

Legendary Member
I'm always baffled as to how the Manchild ever got onto TV ?
Did he ever appear in the Hunchback of Notre Dame ?

Top Bottom