BBC this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just been on and will be revisited during the morning. Its not the usual 30s of cliches. OK theres plenty of cliches in there....
Magnatoms lorry/RAB vid, a few more. CTC spokesman and they're at a kids bikeability course.
The female presenter commented that the only reason she doesn't cycle is shes too scared.

Peter91

Just seen that, the lorry roundabout footage is cringe-worthy.

Not sure how Magnatom's HGV RAB video fits in with blindspots really. The driver appeared to be doing a good speed - opening his eyes and looking where forward would have worked.

Maybe I'll see some coverage later.

Edit: just caught some of the 'correspondence' - cyclists behave terribly on the road, licence and insure them etc. Yawn.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The photos of the bike under the lorry were from Bristol a year or so back. My kids were impressed that I knew all 3 incidents shown!

I wasn't impressed with the lorry footage - whether it was bad editing by the film crew or just set up to get a shot for the film but they actually showed the lorry overtaking a cyclist whilst giving the lorry turning left message - with no comment of how dangerous a situation the lorry driver had put the cyclist in. (I'm in favour of the system itself).

ThePainInSpain

Who was the stupid old bat that was against it, fantastic argument she used 'the new technology is dangerous because the driver could be looking at it and a pedestrian run out in front of him'. What a stupid statement.

As for the roundabout incident, quite agree, nothing to do with drivers blind spot, just blind drivers.

BSRU

A Human Being
There seemed to be a huge emphasis on the HGV drivers being at fault, when it is the stupid cyclists ignoring Highway Code 167 who at fault. The technology should be used to allow HGV drivers to keep a look out for the death wish cyclists that insist on going up the inside of a very large metal object which is indicating to turn left.

abo

A little wide angle lens camera on the nearside of the trailer might be the way to go, so it eliminates the problem of the mirrors being obscured when they turn

moon_monkey

I wasn't impressed with the lorry footage - whether it was bad editing by the film crew or just set up to get a shot for the film but they actually showed the lorry overtaking a cyclist whilst giving the lorry turning left message - with no comment of how dangerous a situation the lorry driver had put the cyclist in. (I'm in favour of the system itself).

I spotted that as well. Made me wince and chuckle at the same time.
Did wonder if they'd just added the sound on top to make it more interesting.

It can be seen here if you missed it - i recognised mag's footage there -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13466151

I don't know if it's just the edit, but look at just before 2 mins in - very close overtake of cyclist with the "caution, truck turning left" signal on - not great driving - ie close overtake and left hook by truck driver who moans that cyclists are at fault... typical really

killiekosmos

Veteran
More and more we get helmet camera footage on BBC news. Magnatom should charge for rghts to his work!

It was good that the story was discussed on TV but there were a few flaws:

* the Magnatom incident was nothing to do with blind sports, it was just bad driving.

* no mention about vehicles overtaking then immediately turning left across a cyclist

* RHA seems against system on cost grounds but had to invent another reason (too busy looking at cameras then run over pedestrian)

* simple signage at back would help "don't undertake I may turn left"

TVC

Who was the stupid old bat that was against it, fantastic argument she used 'the new technology is dangerous because the driver could be looking at it and a pedestrian run out in front of him'. What a stupid statement.

As for the roundabout incident, quite agree, nothing to do with drivers blind spot, just blind drivers.

She made me splutter with mirth. Not a very PR savvy women given that she's supposed to be a spokesperson.

Edit 30mins later:

I've just thought through what she said, and by extension she has just argued for the removal of mirrors from lorries because '.....dangerous because the driver could be looking at it and a pedestrian run out in front of him'

Excellent point from the spokesperson for the road haulage association (or whatever)

jeltz

Veteran
No harm in adding extra tech to help but lets face it its not going to go into vans, cars, 4WD's or people carriers. Maybe it would just be better if there were more public information films to improve awareness of the various potential hazards that are encountered on the roads, including but not limited to filtering down the left.

Not sure how Magnatom's HGV RAB video fits in with blindspots really. The driver appeared to be doing a good speed - opening his eyes and looking where forward would have worked.

It's because Mags (through no fault of his own) was behind the mirror, from the driver's point of view. I'm not excusing the driver - he should have looked around the mirror, which is what I do - but that's why it was a blind spot incident. It's one of the reasons why more mirrors on lorries is not necessarily a good thing ...

gavintc

Guru
She made me splutter with mirth. Not a very PR savvy women given that she's supposed to be a spokesperson.

Edit 30mins later:

I've just thought through what she said, and by extension she has just argued for the removal of mirrors from lorries because '.....dangerous because the driver could be looking at it and a pedestrian run out in front of him'

Excellent point from the spokesperson for the road haulage association (or whatever)

Personally I am remain unconvinced. It seems a classic case of a technological solution for something that would be better solved with decent mirrors. A cam will get mucky in typical UK weather degrading the image and I think as the woman stated it will add an extra check for the driver. When driving, your head is up scanning the road and the mirrors - all on a similar sight line, you then need to drop your eyes to the little cab based screen - all while making a manoeuvre. I think that it will distract and detract from the procedure of watching your mirrors and ahead carefully. So, I think it is not a viable alternative.

Top Bottom