Beginner at 150kg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onehitwonder

Hey guys I've been back and forth wanting to get a bike was recently researching and find it hard to come across decent information about bikes for guys that are +++++ I was 158 kg down to 150kg a hell of a long way to go but would love to get out in a bike again is this even possible at this weight, I've been to Halfords and the guy as nice as he was and helpful really couldn't advise me on it I'm aware the frame isn't the issue more the wheels I came across a cerrera valour that had I believe 32 or 36 spiked wheels but at this point I'm wondering is it possible for me

Yes, its possible. Go for 36-spoke wheels. One of the approaches, particularly if you can do your own maintenance, is to go used, and get an older rigid mountain bike, no suspension. Having got yourself up and running, consider hand-built wheels if budget allows. Ride little and often, at first, rather than long rides. Distance will build as you progress. This, along with other measures such as diet, should see the weight drop.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The maximum "manufacturer's guaranteed" weight will be less than the maximum "perfectly OK" weight. But if a wheel does go wonky - which can happen anyway esp if you treat the bike roughly, then you don't have the guarantee to fall back on

I've just realised that "spiked wheels" was a typo for "spoked wheels" so I've deleted my advice about ice-spiked tyres not being a good idea :laugh:

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The maximum "manufacturer's guaranteed" weight will be less than the maximum "perfectly OK" weight. But if a wheel does go wonky - which can happen anyway esp if you treat the bike roughly, then you don't have the guarantee to fall back on

I've just realised that "spiked wheels" was a typo for "spoked wheels" so I've deleted my advice about spiked tyres not being a good idea :laugh:

Unless I'm being superwhooshed spike = spoke as picked up by DCBassman...

GuyBoden

Guru
Wheels are the very important part, I'm using Ryde Sputnik rims with 36spokes. Ryde Big Bull or Ryde Andra are heavy duty rims too.

GuyBoden

Guru
Earlier this year, I was speaking to a 6 foot 4inch bloke, who was well over 20 stone, his expensive carbon fibre rim wheels had cracked on his very expensive pro carbon bike. I told him that pro carbon fibre wheels aren't strong enough for 20 stone riders, he would be better with some 36 spoke heavy duty wheels, with preferably Ryde Andra or Sputnik rims. He wasn't pleased with my suggestion.

Jameshow

Veteran
Earlier this year, I was speaking to a 6 foot 4inch bloke, who was well over 20 stone, his expensive carbon fibre rim wheels had cracked on his very expensive pro carbon bike. I told him that pro carbon fibre wheels aren't strong enough for 20 stone riders, he would be better with some 36 spoke heavy duty wheels, with preferably Ryde Andra or Sputnik rims. He wasn't pleased with my suggestion.

Rather you than me!!

OP
OP
onehitwonder

onehitwonder

Looking at the Carrera subway I just don't imagine it could take my weight perhaps I'm being overtly cautious but I think it's only right that I am lol, I was looking at fat wheel bikes on a website called cobra this one in particular after correspondance confirms max user weight is 150 kg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-05-22-27-17-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-05-22-27-17-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2022-12-05-22-27-10-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-05-22-27-10-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 9

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Good advice from people who probably know much more than most.

You haven't said what you want the bike for, if it's for utility cycling then an Elephant Bike or the same bike in its original Mailstar form are rated for about 150kg possibly 160kg I can't remember off the top of my head.

If it's for sports / leisure I think a good old rigid mountain bike will do you proud, if your riding on the road then some slick tyres would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Take the plunge though, as was said up the thread it's not a great time to be riding, but that also means it's a great time to be buying a bike especially second hand.

Jameshow

Veteran
Looking at the Carrera subway I just don't imagine it could take my weight perhaps I'm being overtly cautious but I think it's only right that I am lol, I was looking at fat wheel bikes on a website called cobra this one in particular after correspondance confirms max user weight is 150 kg

The bikes that are most likely to fail will be the same on a Carrera as a fat wheel bike tbh.
Wheels, hubs, frame joints etc.

Carrera or an old Raleigh / Dawes mountain bike.

Top Bottom