Beginners Guitar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Its a shame your so far away,i have two accoustics given as presents,you could have used one to try it and see.

Here is one of them
guitar.jpg

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

I just want her to accompany me on this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgCjeddPvE

I know the words ;)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..Good old Biff eh!

..Ok..get her a strat with a Pod and lend her your spandex..that should do it.

I'm building up to biff....;)

Funnily enough she knows about AC/DC...and (quite amazingly) she paid attention to me and the local relevance. Not that it's a rock thing, but a music thing....or more precisely art 'cos JM Barrie is local as well...

....I'm a sad git harking back so far, but it makes it feel possible to kids who stay in the sticks...

Mr Pig

Where are you Noodley? I have a Westfield acoustic with a brand new bag you could have for £30 if you're near enough. Nothing special but a solid guitar for little money.

Thanks for the amp advice. Basically I'll be looking for an amp that has more features and is loud enough to use with others when needed. He's not interested in pretending he's a guitar tosser, he sits in his room and concentrates on learning to play properly, so for the most part volume is not an issue. When he tried to play along with my other son's drum kit though his little amp wasn't loud enough.

One with more inputs, effects etc would be good too. How long do the valves in valve amps last? Do they need a lot of valves to get the volume? I assume they're expensive?

Bigtallfatbloke

..I have played with one metal drummer who drowned out my wall of 4 marshall 4x12 cabs!!

Sound slike you need to get a combo amp...thats just a single box where the preamp, speakers and power amp stages are all in the one box. These are more than adequate for most gigging guitarists and are easy to lug around compared to a rig of seperate amp heads and speaker cabs. If he needs to play at very low level mostly at home to practice and still compete with a drumme ron occassion these will do it...in fact a Line 6 style combo amp would sound cool at very low level (not so cool at higher level) as it has amp simulation which immitates tube distortion and speaker cabs at high levels, which can then be turned down to bedroom level.

Tubes are expensive yes...a good tube amp can cost a grand or more...then you still need the speakers etc. Most tube amps use smaller valaves for the pre amp and larger ones for the power amp stage. You get the cool tone my running th epower amp stage tubes on ten so they fry.

I use JJ tesla Ecc83s tubes for my pre amp and JJ tesla 6l6gc tubes for my power amp. Speakers are also important...lot's of new cabs come with crap speaker cones (Marshalls are guilty of this)...get rid of the stock cones and get some Celestion Vintage 30s in there...they make a huge difference to the tone.

Guitar effects are a lot cheaper these days than they used to be. The simplest are the stomp box pedals (Boss are best)...the basic effects you should have are a good overdrive Like an OD1 or an Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer or something...or if a more distorted tone is needed look at the Boss DS1. Reverb is useful in small doses live but mostly I use it when recording. Delay...and chorus...you can do mos tthings with that set up. Also invest in a good chromatic tuner that allows you to tune up silently without your audience hearing..again Boss TU12 or what i have a Korg DT-10.

If you want more options you can go down the multi effects route...basically an all singing all dancing single box of tricks with hundreds of effects in some cases. I use a TC electronic G major effects in my rack...it does way more than I need but it has some cool midi switching options and sounds excellent.

Again take a look at the PODs as they also come loaded with some very cool basic effects which are easy to use and will avoid the need to recreate spaghetti junction round the back of your amp.

If true valve tone is a must for you and you still want it at lower volume then you'll ned a power attenuator or soak. I use Marshall Power brakes in between my marshall Power amp and the speaker cabs. What this does is allow me to play the amp on 10 (hence cooking my tubes and getting the cool tone) BUT it is only out putting a sensible volume...so you get the tone without the divorce. This is an expensive route though and for a beginner it's arguable that it's not necessary.

When I travel (off the bike) i take one strat in a gig bag. In th egig bag pocket I have a simple line six pod and a set of headphones. It gives me all I need...cool tone, cool effects, happy neighbours and no heavy gear to carry. They are cheap as well ...take a look at ebay for a second hand one. Also the bulk of th epod range allow you to download tone setings from the web...which is cool if you want to sound like your guitar idol and have th eexact same settings as he does...(although you'll never emulate his fingers).

Another cool thing about a POD...you can plug it directly into the stereo and it will sound excellent....or at a gig just take a feed from the pods outputs into two input channels on the pa desk and voila..instant stereo tone without the need for an amp and an sm 58 mic.

Line six arnt the only manufacture of amp simulators...Behringer do a reasonable and cheaper thing.

..almost forgot...How long do valaves last...well that depends on usage...and how hard you drive them. If you were giiging in a loud metal act regularly you could be looking at changeing them very frequently...monthly but certainly annualy...top acts often change them more so....but i think thats silly...just run with the amp until it sounds carp then change the tubes...but make sure you get the power amp tube re biased at the same time by a good tech.

You are mor elikely to blow a fuse in a tube amp...so if playing live have a few spares with you and know how to swap them over quickly.

Top Bottom