Best newspaper headline you've seen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Not so much a headline...

But some considerable time ago, I was doing the weekly shop. I was at the magazine stand searching out something on cycling. This was located near the section for magazines on fishing. There is a mag named "Coarse Fishing" It had a plastic wrapper over it, as there was some sort of freebie coming with the mag that week. Thing is, the plastic wrapper had areas of clear plastic & areas of opaque plastic. There was an opaque bit covering the first two letters of the title of the magazine. I dissolved into a heap of giggles on the shop floor..

;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

I liked the headline in one of the scottish tabloids when Chris Hoy won lots:
'gold man of hoy'

25irww1.jpg

I spotted this near Hereford a few weeks ago. :ohmy:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Saw a programme once and it was the Daily Sport newspaper editors trying to come up with a headline when Versace was shot outside his house in Miami. They settled on "Shoots you sir"

wafflycat said:
Not so much a headline...

But some considerable time ago, I was doing the weekly shop. I was at the magazine stand searching out something on cycling. This was located near the section for magazines on fishing. There is a mag named "Coarse Fishing" It had a plastic wrapper over it, as there was some sort of freebie coming with the mag that week. Thing is, the plastic wrapper had areas of clear plastic & areas of opaque plastic. There was an opaque bit covering the first two letters of the title of the magazine. I dissolved into a heap of giggles on the shop floor..

:biggrin:

In a similar vein; there was a jumble sale in Brentwood years ago for the 'Canal Craft' group. There was a photo in the local rag the following week of one of the helpers; she was very proudly wearing her Canal Craft sweatshirt; unfortunately the the first 'C' was obscured! :ohmy: :smile:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

There was a pub in Glasgow on a canal called very originally 'the Canal'. Shut down 2 years ago and someone nicked the C from the sign. Sat like that for 2 years. Every time I drove by it made me laugh

Dayvo said:
:biggrin:

In a similar vein; there was a jumble sale in Brentwood years ago for the 'Canal Craft' group. There was a photo in the local rag the following week of one of the helpers; she was very proudly wearing her Canal Craft sweatshirt; unfortunately the the first 'C' was obscured! :ohmy: :smile:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There was a competition in the 1930's to find the worst imaginable newspaper headline. The winner was:

"Archduke Franz Ferdinand found alive. World War (1) a mistake."

Arch

Married to Night Train
Greedo said:
There was a pub in Glasgow on a canal called very originally 'the Canal'. Shut down 2 years ago and someone nicked the C from the sign. Sat like that for 2 years. Every time I drove by it made me laugh

I passed a local pub the other day and saw that thanks to a little creative vandalism, they now provide "Poo and Darts".

In Leicester, when the far east import boom was just getting going, one of the Mercury news stand banners once read "Leicester hit by cheap Chinese knickers".

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The South Wales Evening Post always has some good ones, tho it's never too clear what they're getting at...

SWANSEA WOMAN DIY WHEELCHAIR FURY
MUMBLES OAP REVENGE ATTACK FEAR

They quite like PROBES as well...

Top Bottom