best road bike under £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frankstar

So following on from my 1st post regarding WSD vs mens frame, I am now on the search for advice on the best bike at around £500. I am going to try out the bottom of the range womens frame but also want to try out some mens frames.

I am looking for a road bike for a ~20 mile commute on major roads in Edinburgh then longer weekend rides. Should i go for a major brand bike (Giant, Specialized etc) at the entry level or opt for a Revolution bike ( i have to purchase from edinburgh bike coop).

Thanks guy your help in invaluable to me!

frank9755

Cyclist
So following on from my 1st post regarding WSD vs mens frame, I am now on the search for advice on the best bike at around £500. I am going to try out the bottom of the range womens frame but also want to try out some mens frames.

I am looking for a road bike for a ~20 mile commute on major roads in Edinburgh then longer weekend rides. Should i go for a major brand bike (Giant, Specialized etc) at the entry level or opt for a Revolution bike ( i have to purchase from edinburgh bike coop).

Thanks guy your help in invaluable to me!

You'll get best value from Halfords or Decathlon.
The Carrera Vanquish (Halfords) is going for £500 nowadays. It's a very good bike (I commute on one). If it had a Trek or Specialized marque on it, it would cost £750+

coco69

Veteran
I have to say a giant defy 3 2010 if you dont mind yellow,looks good with good components and you can get one now for £500

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You can get a bottom of the range Specialized or Trek for £500, although suspect that it will be men's designs only. And it will be a good bike too.
(I have a £500 Specialized Allez 16 with Shimano 2300, and its good!)

yello

I have to say a giant defy 3 2010 if you dont mind yellow,looks good with good components and you can get one now for £500

That's what my wife rides. A 2009 model and it cost around €500. I have to say that at first I was a bit sniffy, didn't think you could buy anything that one might call a 'decent' bike for that kind of money but I'm quite happy to be wrong sometimes and eat my words, hat, humble pie and whatever else one eats after getting it wrong. For the price, it is a decently spec'ed bike and my wife loves it.

Edit: she did change the saddle though, for a women's specific Selle Italia. Her rides are, as a rule, around 30km but she has done 60km on it with no comfort problems.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you have to buy from EBC I would definitely try any of the Revolution bikes that match your needs and budget. They are generally well thought out & very good value IMO.

This for example is an absolute steal (if 48 cm is your size) The 2011 model is at £600 !

or this if you can stretch to it ?

OP
OP
F

frankstar

I really wanted the 2010 rev Content sport but sadly its way to small :sad:
If you have to buy from EBC I would definitely try any of the Revolution bikes that match your needs and budget. They are generally well thought out & very good value IMO.

This for example is an absolute steal (if 48 cm is your size) The 2011 model is at £600 !

or this if you can stretch to it ?

OP
OP
F

frankstar

Went over budget and got a giant avail 2! But with savings after tax and a cheeky wee discount think I got a good deal at 612 on salary sac. All I can say is bring on summer!

Top Bottom