better than eddy mercx had…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
is my standard reply to certain clubmates who occasionally suggest that my modest steed is a bit, well, modest. makes me wonder though, if mercx would have happily swapped, who would have been the first tour de france winner to have said "no thanks"?

the spec:

alu frame
carbon fork
full shimano tiagra 9 speed groupset
look pp206 pedals
shimano 105 wheelset

or would they all have stuck to their steel and toeclips?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Sounds pretty much like what I'm sweating my ass off on. It is far better than I can do justice, so I won't be upgrading.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I was basically on the same but 8 speed and replaced alex DC19's for aksiums. Have never been on a club run though.. or in a club infact...

Young Un

Pretty much the set-up that I am on aswell, and I can still kick the asses of people on full carbon frames, carbon handlebars, carbon wheels etc etc. It's 90% legs and 10% bike, well thats what my coaches keep telling me!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got a 2005 Allez with a mixture of different Shimano bits- Sora (8 spd. shifters), Tiagra (cranks and mechs), Ultegra (brakes) and 105 (hubs).

I've just ridden it out to the Essex border and back- I think its a great bike.

mondobongo

Über Member
My SCR is well maintained has an upgraded set of wheels and turns up for all Club runs clean and polished and fully functioning. Has no problem mixing it up with others no matter what pedigree. Have been asked twice if its full carbon.

U

User482

People only buy better bikes than the one you have because they want to. The tiny performance difference is of no significance to anyone except hardcore amateur racers and pros.

To answer your question though, I'm sure that Mercx had the best bike available at the time, and that any pro will want to ride the best bike they can get.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
User482 said:
People only buy better bikes than the one you have because they want to. The tiny performance difference is of no significance to anyone except hardcore amateur racers and pros.

To answer your question though, I'm sure that Mercx had the best bike available at the time, and that any pro will want to ride the best bike they can get.

my question was really about at what point the modest bike i have would not have been better than the pros used. i'm guessing early '80s, but was hoping a more knowledgeable old racer would be on hand to give me a firmer idea…

Globalti

Legendary Member
Errrr... yesterday I finally rode a modern compact frame carbon bike for the first time in my life. Up to now my road experience has been limited to a long line of seventies farm gate 10-speeds, followed by an entry level Peugeot of around 1980s vintage then a Columbus SLX steel 1990 Harry Hall so short that you can't even remove the rear wheel without deflating the tyre and so steep that it twitches if you sneeze, while every pothole and rough patch beats you up.

Yesterday's ride was a revelation - the carbon bike is about 10% faster for the same effort, lighter and accelerates better, corners like on rails and feels super-secure, definitely smoother, more comfortable, doesn't punish you and make your back ache, has more gears so there's always a gear there for you... it is simply a more user-friendly bike. As a modestly bike fit 53 year-old I need all the help I can get and this bike definitely helps. It changes a long road ride from a punishing saga of numb hands and flinching at potholes of dubious pleasure into a smooth rewarding experience, which I want to repeat as soon as I possibly can.

Saddle bum

Über Member
I have a Scandium with carbon front and rear ends, it has a 10-speed Triple Campag Record transmission and Centaur brakes. Although the ride is lively, it does not have the comfort factor of my all-ali Audax, which is similarly eqipped. The difference iin the respective wheel base dimensions does make a difference to the overall ride.

Gary D

Young Un said:
Pretty much the set-up that I am on aswell, and I can still kick the asses of people on full carbon frames, carbon handlebars, carbon wheels etc etc. It's 90% legs and 10% bike, well thats what my coaches keep telling me!

OII!!

I hope you're not talking about me there!! :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin: ;)

Even though it is almost certainly true :blush: :blush: :blush:

Well done on Tuesday - great first effort :smile: :smile:

Gary.

Young Un

Gary D said:
OII!!

I hope you're not talking about me there!! :tongue: :ohmy: :blush: :blush:

Even though it is almost certainly true :blush: :blush: :blush:

Well done on Tuesday - great first effort :smile: :smile:

Gary.

Not just you that has been telling me that Gary:tongue:

And thank you very much, can't wait for the New End course, hoping for a 27.50 on that course.:biggrin:

Top Bottom