big basketball games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I went to the GB version of the All Stars game a good few years ago. The only rowdiness was our group in Macdonalds on the way home and me pinching a life-sized cardboard cutout of Michael Jordan (he's 6' 6") which was promoting some Space Jam/MacDonalds things.

The game was fine for family viewing IIRC.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
British versions of American sporting events are rarely anywhere near as exciting as the real thing, we seem to have an inability to get going proper

Any boistrousness at such sporting events, especially anything with the 'Team GB' tag, normally comes from the fact that the crowd seems mostly to be pre-pubescent schoolkids screaming and screeching at nothing in particular, high on fizzy pop and the fact they're missing geography, watch any GB netball match and you'll see this at its worst...

If there are no screaming kids, it'll just be quiet and a bit dull. I used to go to ice hockey games hoping for some excitement and the potential for extreme violence, but it was just dull in the extreme, not even a face-off, let alone a punch-up....

PaulB

Legendary Member
I took a load of people to a NY Giants V Boston Celtics game in Madison Square Garden two years ago. Now as competitive league fixtures with inter-city rivalries go, this must be up near the top of the tree but the best I can say for it was, it was alright... A Soul-less bowl of a stadium and people incessantly moving about up and down to the concourse to get beer and totally unlike a British football match. The home crowd clearly had no idea how to back their team when they were behind to Boston's slight lead and were all going home early when it became apparent they were going to lose. We all started backing Boston to wind the NY-ers up! Boisterous is not a word I'd use to describe that particular match though.

papercorn2000

Sh4rkyBloke said:
baboom, tisch!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Waffles!!!

No, please, take her! ;);)

Ooh, with pleasure. Did I ever say she's the spitting image of an ex-girlfriend of mine?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i used to go and watch manchester united/eagles/giants bb team years ago, and it was quite entertaining. deffo a more family oriented experience than a football match.

red_tom

PaulB said:
I took a load of people to a NY Giants V Boston Celtics game in Madison Square Garden two years ago.

They probably lost as the Giants are an American football team. ;)

I saw the NY Knicks play the Detroit Pistons in Madison Square Garden a few years ago. Really close game with the Knicks winning it in the dying moments. Fantastic stuff. We were in pretty good seats so had a waiter to bring us drinks.

Top Bottom