Big decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently made a big decision. Not really big in the grand scheme of things, but an important one for me.

I've been a judo player since I was 8 years old. I love the sport and have had many, many great experiences, adventures, etc as a result of being a judo player. I have met a significant proportion of my friends through it, met my wife via it (she was a friend of a fellow judo player) and it plays a big part in my social life (having kids that means I go to the annual dinner dance every year!). I was even pretty good at it and competed at a national level.

But, it's time to call it quits. Time to retire. I've been mulling it for a while, but due to a knee injury sustained a number of years ago, which I have aggravated, my body is telling me if I still want to be able to be active with the kids as they grow up, I need to stop.

Obviously I'm quite sad about this, but happy in the knowledge that I am doing the right thing. I'll pop along to a couple more judo sessions just to say farewell to the magic carpet (the mat).

There is a silver lining, though. I've discovered cycling. By that I mean, I've discovered that I love going out on the bike and challenging myself with long rides (long for me) and hills. I love cycling on my own, and I love cycling with like minded cyclists. So I suppose I'm a cyclist now!:smile:

The downside to all of this, is that cycling is considerably more expensive than judo! ;):biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Judo player... I like that, makes it sound all friendly and harmless.. a bit of rough and tumble.

Try telling that to anyone who's suffered the delights of Uchi-matta (sp?) or "Uchi-splatta" as we used to call it. ;)

Never mind, Mag - you can keep on cycling for years yet!

I know a few keen amateur footballers who've made similar lifestyle decisions - mainly the knees that aren't holding up.

I don't know if there's any validity in it, but I've often wondered whether non-professional sports people who've been very physically active in a sport 'wear out' earlier than people who, for example, haven't played sport much when they were young, but start doing it when they are older.

Keith Oates

Janner
magnatom, be happy that as you progress through life that you've been able to find another sport that you enjoy and one that you will be able to carry on doing until you reach a ripe old age. One door closes but another good one opens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

byegad

Legendary Member
Better to do it now of your own choice than do what a friend of mine did with Rugby. He had a bad shoulder injury and was put back together with steel pins and plates. His surgeon advised him to quit playing. He ignored it and played the next season, only to di it again, to the same shoulder. The same surgeon started the pre operation chat with,

'Are you thick or what?'

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Judo player... I like that, makes it sound all friendly and harmless.. a bit of rough and tumble.

Try telling that to anyone who's suffered the delights of Uchi-matta (sp?) or "Uchi-splatta" as we used to call it. :smile:

Bah, that's nothing. It's when you get caught in one of my tani-otoshis that you know you've ben thrown (done after a Hari feint) ;):biggrin:

Before my knee op my main technique was a drop ippon sionage. The knee doesn't like it any more. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, I am glad I am making this decision. I know of some players who are on the mat and are slowly fading due to one problem or another. I'd rather go out on a high (ish!)

I'm really enjoying the cycling, and it is a whole new type of fitness for me. It'll take a wee while before I get to national level at the cycling ;):smile:

A friend was heavily involved in playing judo and had to give up playing due to an injury. He has since become involved in coaching to maintain his contact and as he has been living in the US since 1984 was involved in the organisation and judging of the of the Atlanta Olympic tournament. Perhaps you can get involved in 2012?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

ArDee said:
A friend was heavily involved in playing judo and had to give up playing due to an injury. He has since become involved in coaching to maintain his contact and as he has been living in the US since 1984 was involved in the organisation and judging of the of the Atlanta Olympic tournament. Perhaps you can get involved in 2012?

I don't mind coaching one to one, but I'm not great at coaching a class. Anyway it would require more time than I have (with the weans).

I'm also not a great spectator, I'd rather be doing, than watching. Thus the switch to something I can still do without wrecking the body. Anyway, there are many much more qualified than I am!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Contact sports and cycling don't go, especially if you value youe knees. TBH cycling has been my sport since a kid, so I shun other stuff so I don't pick up injuries that would prevent cycling. My son keeps trying to get me involved in his Karate club..no chance.....

At least you have a sport now that you can keep doing until you are in the box (so to speak)......although you'll never be rich with it......

As mentioned, anyway of coaching etc, without having to do the more physical side, even assisting the youngsters.... bet the club would grab that opportunity. I'd still stay involved, maybe on the organising side ?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The club I currently go to is a university club, so no kids to help with. As I say, my time is limited for the next few years, so it's one or the other. Maybe when the kids get older, and if they take an interest in judo, maybe I could get into coaching etc. Until then, I'll hang up my judogi and move on.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
Bah, that's nothing. It's when you get caught in one of my tani-otoshis that you know you've ben thrown (done after a Hari feint) :biggrin::biggrin:

Before my knee op my main technique was a drop ippon sionage. The knee doesn't like it any more. :sad:
My fave was Maroto Sionage (should really look up the spelling, but I'm sure you'll know the one I mean) - feign a Kouchi Gari (I think) to get them pushing towards you a bit, then convert into a Maroto Sionage... thank you and good night. :biggrin:

Been a good number of years since I was on the mat...

* heads off into cloudy nostalgia mode *

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
My fave was Maroto Sionage (should really look up the spelling, but I'm sure you'll know the one I mean) - feign a Kouchi Gari (I think) to get them pushing towards you a bit, then convert into a Maroto Sionage... thank you and good night. :biggrin:

Been a good number of years since I was on the mat...

* heads off into cloudy nostalgia mode *

Aye, I like maroto seoi nage as well (pre-injury), in fact I enjoy coaching that one. People often feel awkward doing it (twisted wrist, bent back) but with a little coaching that is easily resolved. The important thing is to keep your upper arm at 90 degrees to your body, that way you can place the rest of your body where you feel most comfortable. This arm position also provides a good solid bar around which to pivot uke and tends to tighten up the wrist. Too many people let the arm drop towards their body..

Grab your partner and have a go...:biggrin:

Top Bottom