Big decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
The downside to all of this, is that cycling is considerably more expensive than judo! :biggrin::biggrin:

Um... Rubbish. Only if you let it. My total outlay on cycling in the last couple of years is a new chain, a pair of tyres (£20 the pair) and some brake blocks, plus a few quid on some cheap backup lights. Once you've got a bike, the cost can be minimal.

On the other hand, if you have the money to spend, you can go mad, I admit.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Just to add to the mix, have you thought of teaching the young-un's?

Pass on your many years of experience and give something back?
This whilst keeping your toe (knee) in, obviously this cycling thing does take as much of your life, this then divided by 24/7 as a factor

ChrisKH

Guru
Took me about five years to get over retiring from rugby. Each year I considered a comeback in August as trials time arrived. And I was wise enough to realise I wasn't up to it in three of those years. Still can't watch on the sidelines without wanting to play though.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
Um... Rubbish. Only if you let it. My total outlay on cycling in the last couple of years is a new chain, a pair of tyres (£20 the pair) and some brake blocks, plus a few quid on some cheap backup lights. Once you've got a bike, the cost can be minimal.

On the other hand, if you have the money to spend, you can go mad, I admit.

My total outlay on judo over the last couple of years has been about £30 (the £120 judo kit was a present), so it is even cheaper than your spending on the bike! :biggrin:

Anyway I realise that cycling could be cheap..... but....:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

craigwend said:
Just to add to the mix, have you thought of teaching the young-un's?

You've obviously not read all of my previous posts! :biggrin:

I'd love to, but time is very short and the club I am a member of only has adults (if you can count uni students as adults! :biggrin:)

It's the way of it, you leave some things behind and pick up new things. Even if you leave it behind it still defines who you are, that sometimes makes it hard to acknowledge that you don't do it anymore. Once you're kids start doing it, it'll be part of your life again :angry:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
magnatom said:
People often feel awkward doing it (twisted wrist, bent back) but with a little coaching that is easily resolved. The important thing is to keep your upper arm at 90 degrees to your body, that way you can place the rest of your body where you feel most comfortable. This arm position also provides a good solid bar around which to pivot uke and tends to tighten up the wrist. Too many people let the arm drop towards their body..
:biggrin: :stop:
What kind of bike fitting did you go to ? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :wacko: :smile:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

giantscr2.0

Hi Magnatom,

I understand how difficult this decision is.
I did Judo as a kid, I then changed and started Tae Kwon-Do which I did for 19 years with varying levels of success!!. I retired 1 year ago due to an old knee injury.
I was an Instructor for the past 4 years but it takes up so much time and I found myself struggling to work, teach, training for myself and speaking to my wife!!
So I have now left my club in the capable hands of 2 of my very good friends.
I still get the pull to go back but I know I must resist as it will only cause me more problems with the knee.
I must warn you that cycling is equally as addictive.... Good luck!!

Simon

magnatom said:
I've recently made a big decision. Not really big in the grand scheme of things, but an important one for me.

But, it's time to call it quits. Time to retire. I've been mulling it for a while, but due to a knee injury sustained a number of years ago, which I have aggravated, my body is telling me if I still want to be able to be active with the kids as they grow up, I need to stop.

got a lot of respect for you stopping a sport you obviously love to be able to give your kids the best of yourself.

you never know, your kids might take it up and you'd be able to be there as an instructor or something?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for the kind words guys.

It's funny, I'm not too sad about giving it up. I think I have been mulling it over for a while and I am used to the idea now. I also try and have a forward looking attitude and I am looking forward to the new challenges that cycling brings. I'm quite fit, but not cycling fit, so the challenge is to try and get quicker and to take part in some sportives. Of course I'll never be Lance (can't afford the drugs...:tongue:) so I'll make sure I enjoy it along the way, keeping up the social rides etc.

Maybe as the kids get older, they might take an interest in judo. I'd love it if they did, as it is a great sport which not only teaches self discipline and control, but is immensely rewarding socially as well. Of course they might get into cycling instead. My oldest learned to ride his bike at 3.5, so he's on course to leave his dad in a cloud of dust in the not too distant future...:sad::wacko:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Joking aside, mags, I had no idea you were a judo expert :smile:. Better watch my step/comments in the future :sad:

It can be hard to give up a favourite sport - mine was windsurfing (in the olden days; my brother and I had the first 2 Windsurfers in Scotland :ohmy: ). I was fortunate enough to be working in the Far East :sun:, where the water was warm, the breezes generally benign and it was a :biggrin: sport.
Gave it up when I was transfered to Pakistan - 1500 miles from the sea :wacko: - and got too old to enjoy :tongue: water back home.

Sailing had always been a love and I shared a 27ft trimaran on the Forth until a wrist injury meant I couldn't pull a rope without pain. The family never really 'got' sailing either, so the boat had to go.

Cycling has taken their place and, provided I can remain injury-free :smile:, it should keep me exercised, less grumpy and healthier than I have been for ages.

Actually, I don't miss those other sports. They were great in their time, I enjoyed them but have (had to) move on. Once the seed of giving up is sown, it doesn't take too long till you "fall out of love" with it and giving up is not so hard. Changes in one's personal circumstances play a very large part too. When you are a committed family man, your own (selfish ?) choices take a back seat to the whole family thing - et voilà !

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
S'funny how cycling can be the refuge of the knackered and broken.

I played Rugby to a decent standard in my teens and early twenties, but managed to collect enough body trouble to last a lifetime (and it didn't leave me all that handsome either!)

Of all the sports that I've enjoyed playing or doing, the only one I can still attempt to a worthwhile level is cycling. Everything else either involves too much impact or pulls bits of body apart at unfortunate moments (try getting half a mile back to shore on a windsurf board when two of your fingers have just dislocated :biggrin:)

yenrod

magnatom said:
I've recently made a big decision. Not really big in the grand scheme of things, but an important one for me.

I've been a judo player since I was 8 years old. I love the sport and have had many, many great experiences, adventures, etc as a result of being a judo player. I have met a significant proportion of my friends through it, met my wife via it (she was a friend of a fellow judo player) and it plays a big part in my social life (having kids that means I go to the annual dinner dance every year!). I was even pretty good at it and competed at a national level.

But, it's time to call it quits. Time to retire. I've been mulling it for a while, but due to a knee injury sustained a number of years ago, which I have aggravated, my body is telling me if I still want to be able to be active with the kids as they grow up, I need to stop.

Obviously I'm quite sad about this, but happy in the knowledge that I am doing the right thing. I'll pop along to a couple more judo sessions just to say farewell to the magic carpet (the mat).

There is a silver lining, though. I've discovered cycling. By that I mean, I've discovered that I love going out on the bike and challenging myself with long rides (long for me) and hills. I love cycling on my own, and I love cycling with like minded cyclists. So I suppose I'm a cyclist now!:ohmy:

The downside to all of this, is that cycling is considerably more expensive than judo! :biggrin::smile:

Cant you do it in a relaxed kind of way or even teach it as the experience is clearly there !

Top Bottom