Biggest letdown?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Crackle said:
No one in particular, just the dawning realization that EPO has skewed so many results from so long ago, virually since I began following cycle racing, though I still hold the Lemond-Fignon race as a truth but so many other moments are now tainted with suspiscion.

What do you think then to Lemond/Indurain & the total dessimation of Lemond in that 'tour and then Chiappucci and his relevant EPO+ (tobelaterretracted) and so his strong ride in the '92 tour...don't forget he done a total epic over the iseran...

The question being was Indurain on something or had such class that he naturally got the better of Lemond with Chiappucci being an 'imp like character..on Indurains shoulder...for subsequent years...and started on something (possibly) as was the 'norm' then...

Well Chiapucci was guilty of doping and Indurain belonged to a team which is alleged to have a doping policy. There's no doubt Indurain had class and the physique to win it clean but did he? I never warmed to Indurain. Each year I wanted to see him lose but no-one ever seemed to take him on and have a go and the man was inscrutable, not exciting to watch.

Lemond on the other hand was human, fallible and I think after 1990 his health began to suffer hence it being his last win with a '92 Tour Du Pont win, his last if I recall.

Haland

My biggest letdown took place in last years giro when Emanuele Sella was caught... He seamed like such a cool dude, king of the mountain and all, someone with guts to attack when nobody else dared...

(Tour de France)
Then I got another one that I'm really happy that he was caught, the before so cocky and arrogant
Riccardo Riccò, saying in before the races that he was going to win and then did it... Would have been a little cool if he was clean though...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Being very new to all this, I was horribly disappointed by Frank Schlek 'organising a bank transfer' last year. I'd cheered him and his brother on during the Tour and kind of fancied them both!! No longer!

I was also quite pleased about Ricco. Something nasty about him from the start!

Tetedelacourse

I would have to say Basso for me. He had the world at his feet.

And if he had ever been caught properly, Valv.piti. What a farce. What's happened since OP for him? An opportunistic day or two in MJ and a few classics. Pah, not what the hype had us (me) believing.

So rider: Basso.
Event: Contador and Rasmussen gliding up to Pau (was it? or plateau de beille?) faster than Armstrong and Pantani and not able to believe a second of it.

Skip Madness

Tetedelacourse said:
And if he had ever been caught properly, Valv.piti. What a farce. What's happened since OP for him? An opportunistic day or two in MJ and a few classics. Pah, not what the hype had us (me) believing.
Although I think the widely-held belief that Valverde has never quite lived up to the hype has an element of truth, it is worth remembering that he finished second in the 2006 Vuelta. Who beat him? Alexandre Vinokourov.

Event: Contador and Rasmussen gliding up to Pau (was it? or plateau de beille?)
Plateau de Beille it was.

Top Bottom