Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Comfort

• Responsiveness

• Strength

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
In just 3 words...Fit for purpose.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
True Maz, I didn't realise the post went up before I had done the poll...

I've always considered weight to be the deciding factor as to whether a bike is good or not but is it really that important? Do you really benefit from riding a bike that is 18lbs as opposed to 20lbs? Obviously you're going to notice the difference between a 40lb tourer and a 15lb racing bike but when you're talking a couple of lbs is it really much of an advantage? Especially to the leisure rider???

It would be easier, and cheaper, for me to lose 5lbs than for my bike to lose it.

So what do you consider to be important?

Keith Oates

Janner
It also depends on the distances you cover, weight is not so important (within reason) if you're just doing 50 Kms or so but much above that and it becomes more important the further you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strengh.How many bikes have I had which have ended with broken frames?

Mr Pig

punkypossum said:
What is the point in having a super-lightweight, responsive bike if you are in agony riding it?

Yip. Are you trying to say you'd rather ride a light bike no matter how uncomfortable it was?

My last bike was light and fast but after an hour on it I really wanted to get off. My new bike is steel and has a much more upright geometry and I'm happier to stay out for much longer. I also no longer feel like a hunchback when I step off it!

I'm not saying that other qualities are not good to have but unless the bike is comfortable you're not going to use it as much, so you've got sod all.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
hackbike 666 said:
Strengh.How many bikes have I had which have ended with broken frames?
This needs an answer ! B)

How many :biggrin: :angry: :biggrin:

How many frames have other people broken ???

I think the "Fit for Porpoise" is the best answer, as it's 'horses for courses' or 'bikes for ????????' :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
A 1450cc V twin?

It has to be comfort to be honest. I don't mind if it is a heap of junk if it feels nice to ride.
Second would be weight as I'm a lazy sod and don't want to work harder then I have to.

grhm

Veteran
I too would opt for comfort over the other options. I want to enjoy riding my bike - if I'm not comfortable I'm not gonna ride it (for long).

I'm not sure how I'd rate responsiveness - I'm not sure I've ever riden a responsive bike. My old cheap BSO worked, I steered/pedalled and it responded. My current hybrid is lighter and when I steer/pedal it responds - sure it accelerates quicker but I'd thought that a result of the lighter weight. Would I know if I rode a 'responsive' bike?

Top Bottom