Bike Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,

I just brought a new bike to use as a commuter/town bike (pics at the end) Before it arrived I started thinking about security a little more than I had in the past these are the ideas I came up with. Take quick release off seat post and use a real nut and bolt, jubilee clip the front quick release to frame,put the bike in the shed at night protected by 4 large dogs with a bad attitude ( my last bike was locked to the front fence for convenience) This is as much to look after the thing a little more as it is to do with security. Use two locks of different types Cable and other (not brought yet what you think is best?)
The bike will be safe enough at home or work but its those trips into town where I'm most likely to have any problems, any other ideas ?

For the full pic try the link below.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2832142417_1dcca44ae3.jpg?v=0

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It depends where you live and where you leave it in town. I leave mine in full public view near a street cafe or the like in Brighton. My theory is that a thief doesn't know if you're sitting sipping a cappuccino a few yards away and would need a bit of botle to bolt crop a lock in a public place. My other trick is to take it into Evans and prop it up somewhere, have a wander round then pop over to Waterstones or Primarkios.

wafflycat

The bottom line is that if there's a *determined* thief, nothing will stop them, but you can effectively deter opportunistic thieves. Firstly - have you got the bike insured? If so, check the locking requirements of the policy as you may find a specific lock or type of lock is required.

For me, I tend to park my bike next to something unlocked or with feeble lock. Then mine is locked using a D-lock and two cable locks. D-lock round frame and immoveable object. Cable locks round wheels and immoveable object. Remove stuff like lights/computer too.

Top Bottom