Bike Serial numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GinsbergBeard

Having spent a tidy sum over several months converting my MTB into a beast of burdon, I recently popped into my local police station to have my bike post-code tagged, but was turned away, with the not very helpful police officer telling me that 'we don't do that here!' I'm glad to see the police in Exeter are helpful towards us cyclists!

TopCat

A tip I use on my bike(s) (once youv'e taken note of the reg number etc) is to write/print your name and address on a piece of paper and stick it down inside the seat tube, also into the handlebars. You can put as much info on the paper as you want.

Your bike ever gets nicked - Repainted - Reg Number scratched off but you spot a bike you think is yours, contact the police, tell them where you have seen the bike and what youv'e done to identifi it. They'll pop round with a spanner.
If the new owner :laugh: objects to the police taking his bike apart then you can reasonably assume its a/your stolen bike.

The thing is NOT to get your prize possession nicked in the first place :laugh:
Youv'e spent a lot of money on your bike - Spend a little bit more on a couple of good locks.

TC :laugh:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
TopCat said:
A tip I use on my bike(s) (once youv'e taken note of the reg number etc) is to write/print your name and address on a piece of paper and stick it down inside the seat tube, also into the handlebars. You can put as much info on the paper as you want.

Your bike ever gets nicked - Repainted - Reg Number scratched off but you spot a bike you think is yours, contact the police, tell them where you have seen the bike and what youv'e done to identifi it. They'll pop round with a spanner.
If the new owner :ohmy: objects to the police taking his bike apart then you can reasonably assume its a/your stolen bike.

The thing is NOT to get your prize possession nicked in the first place xx(
Youv'e spent a lot of money on your bike - Spend a little bit more on a couple of good locks.

TC :eek:

Great idea - especially as my new carbon bike's number is just on a sticker..... then again I don't lock this bike up anywhere, it is either with me at all times or in the garage :tongue:

gavintc

Guru
montage said:
Great idea - especially as my new carbon bike's number is just on a sticker..... then again I don't lock this bike up anywhere, it is either with me at all times or in the garage :smile:

Also carbon bikes do not like having the post code bashed into them. Might be worth putting the paper into a small plastic bag to keep it dry.

byegad

Legendary Member
My Thorn Club Tour has no frame number on it. The paint is so thick it might be there but I can't find it! When I asked SJS they were unsurprised and said that sometimes it can't be read, and maybe it never had one anyway.

knonist

I borrowed an engraver from work and engraved my post code onto my bike in several places (7)..... so if all of them get removed, it would be pretty clear that it is a stolen bike!

Top Bottom