Black edition seat post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
After managing to mangle the third seat height restrictor in as many months*, I was thinking about changing my seat post to the telescopic one. I know it's a little heavier, but the ability to pull up the bottom part to full extension and then set the top part was pretty useful when I hired one for a month or so before buying mine.

If I was going to do it, I was thinking about the black edition version. Anyone had/got a black edition seat post of any kind - and how is it holding up in terms of looks? Scratched badly?

*Pretty sure the seat post sleeve has given up the ghost, so the bike's booked in for a replacement next week.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
After managing to mangle the third seat height restrictor in as many months*, I was thinking about changing my seat post to the telescopic one. I know it's a little heavier, but the ability to pull up the bottom part to full extension and then set the top part was pretty useful when I hired one for a month or so before buying mine.

If I was going to do it, I was thinking about the black edition version. Anyone had/got a black edition seat post of any kind - and how is it holding up in terms of looks? Scratched badly?

*Pretty sure the seat post sleeve has given up the ghost, so the bike's booked in for a replacement next week.

I've got a black seatpost on my 2015 M6L and it's in very good condition. I've got a few seat inserts too, as my height matches the fully extended standard post. I'm happy to pop a couple of inserts in the post FOC if you need them.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I've got a black seatpost on my 2015 M6L and it's in very good condition. I've got a few seat inserts too, as my height matches the fully extended standard post. I'm happy to pop a couple of inserts in the post FOC if you need them.

That would be amazing. But also good to know your seat post is holding up.

The extended black edition is half the price (and weight) of the telescopic one too. So it would make more sense.

mitchibob

Über Member
Just get titanium seat-post and super-firm suspension and be done with it! Nearly 25,000km zero loss of colour, or needing new seat-post sleeve or anything, through at least 3 named storms, one of which killed a wahoo elemnt, which they replaced, even though out of warranty. Only issue with cheap one I got is that isn't flanged at the end, which means you can pull straight out, but, that's really never been a big deal.

I don't really understand black seat-post, as surely it's just paint and extra weight and also another element to wear out? Fine it's made of carbon or something which is already black, and saves some weight, which is possibly tempting now I'm not folding and unfolding as much, but not sure they're any lighter than titanium ones though.

Last edited:

ExBrit

Über Member
Just get titanium seat-post and super-firm suspension and be done with it! Nearly 25,000km zero loss of colour, or needing new seat-post sleeve or anything, through at least 3 named storms, one of which killed a wahoo elemnt, which they replaced, even though out of warranty. Only issue with cheap one I got is that isn't flanged at the end, which means you can pull straight out, but, that's really never been a big deal.

I don't really understand black seat-post, as surely it's just paint and extra weight and also another element to wear out? Fine it's made of carbon or something which is already black, and saves some weight, which is possibly tempting now I'm not folding and unfolding as much, but not sure they're any lighter than titanium ones though.

I'm seeing a wide range in prices on the Ti post. Which one did you get?

mitchibob

Über Member
I'm seeing a wide range in prices on the Ti post. Which one did you get?

Pretty sure it was Rockbros one... cost about £60 and thought I'd been sent a tube of just bubblewrap when it arrived, but there was actually a seat-post in there. Only minor potential issue is that it's not flanged at the end, so you can pull it straight out. I'm about 70kg, and it's lasted 25,000km fine so far.

mitchibob

Über Member
I ordered the Black edition version anyway. I was umming and ahhing about spending more money, but as they told me mine was bent I figured I'd go for it.

Looks more than anything.

Probably safe bet. I just remember seeing too many slightly worn black-edition seatposts, at which point, they look a bit naff. But perhaps that's just poor cleaning and maintenance.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Let’s see how we get on

9FC1306F-6B34-407C-9394-914C85A89D12.jpeg

berlinonaut

Veteran
I was thinking about the black edition version. Anyone had/got a black edition seat post of any kind - and how is it holding up in terms of looks? Scratched badly?
In the future there will be far more experiences. From model year 2023 on all Bromptons will have black parts as standard, following the "black edition", replacing the silver ones that will vanish from the portfolio. You can however bet that at some point in future there will be a "sliver special edition" or alike. :laugh:

Top Bottom