Blakeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
do you remember "Blakeys" hammered into the heels of your loafers!! oh those were the days clip clopping down the road & skidding on the schools wooden floors!Didnt work too well on Dr Martins !:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You used to sound like a sergeant major but it was considered cool for a year or two. I think we also called them segs?

col

Legendary Member
We used riders, thats the name of the slip on boots that had the heels, very slippy sometimes too.

gbb

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Segs and Blakeys were 2 different products IIRC.

Probably true, but same difference if that makes sense.
We used to stick our feet down on motorbikes with them...what a shower of sparks at 30mph :becool:

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
Segs and Blakeys were 2 different products IIRC.

Yes, segs or 'quarter tips' as I knew them where actually inserted in the the edge of the sole after removing a bit of it - usually by a professional cobbler. They are probably still used to preserve leather soles.

Quarter tipped brogues or loafers from Shelley's were impossibly cool. I had plastic charity shop brogues, and to add insult to injury, when I asked my mum to get me some blakeys, she managed to get me rubber ones which I had to hammer in with little nails. The nails afforded some percussion when walking through the playground after morning lineup, but nothing like blakey's or proper quarter tips.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's true that you could do it the Blakey way or the Seg way - did you spot thge seamless transition there:wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Yes, segs or 'quarter tips' as I knew them where actually inserted in the the edge of the sole after removing a bit of it - usually by a professional cobbler. They are probably still used to preserve leather soles.

Quarter tipped brogues or loafers from Shelley's were impossibly cool. I had plastic charity shop brogues, and to add insult to injury, when I asked my mum to get me some blakeys, she managed to get me rubber ones which I had to hammer in with little nails. The nails afforded some percussion when walking through the playground after morning lineup, but nothing like blakey's or proper quarter tips.

Yeah, all this rings a bell :sad:
I bugged my mum for some brogues...she relented and got me some.....from Woolworths :ohmy: (when it was a proper shop). Jeez..didnt i get the piss taken out of me when my mates realised xx(

Everyone thinks peer pressure and having the right brand is a new phenomenon...nah, it was happening (albeit to a lesser degree) in the 70s.

Top Bottom