Blu-Ray or HD DVD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
col said:
Ill have to give blue ray a go, my sons ps3 plays them, will it be noticeable on my digital telly? I have a 32 inch screen.
If you don't mind subtitles then try Pan's Labrynth on Bluray.

Excellent film.

Bit strange in parts (probably some Spanish folklore creeping into the story) but absolutley jaw dropping clarity and detail.

col

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
If you don't mind subtitles then try Pan's Labrynth on Bluray.

Excellent film.

Bit strange in parts (probably some Spanish folklore creeping into the story) but absolutley jaw dropping clarity and detail.

Ah yes Iv seen most of that film, very strange parts in it, but strangely addictive.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
col said:
No afraid not, so I take it there wont be any difference on mine?
Well just as a standard DVD would have to be 'upscaled' to show on HDTV, I suppose the blu-ray DVD would have to be 'downscaled' to display on your TV. I can't see how that would be much better than watching a DVD which was the right resolution to start with, but I only use standard DVD so I can't tell you from experience. I'm sure that someone else will come along and tell you.

My bro-in-law showed me a demo blu-ray DVD played on a PS3 into his 42" HDTV and that was really impressive.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
HD-DVD combi drives (not players) make nice DVD burners, best I've ever come across.

Bladerunner is the best thing to show off high definition in my collection (although some of my blu-rays have uncompressed audio :wacko:).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
ColinJ said:
Well just as a standard DVD would have to be 'upscaled' to show on HDTV, I suppose the blu-ray DVD would have to be 'downscaled' to display on your TV. I can't see how that would be much better than watching a DVD which was the right resolution to start with, but I only use standard DVD so I can't tell you from experience. I'm sure that someone else will come along and tell you.

My bro-in-law showed me a demo blu-ray DVD played on a PS3 into his 42" HDTV and that was really impressive.

Not sure there's much point Colin. You might end up watching the blu-ray in black and white or with the famous green tint like on the PS2. Depends on your tv of course. YCrBr -->RGB is an unnecessary faff. In theory the blu-ray could look better if the DVD had a hell of a lot of artifacts on it that were in your face noticeable and the blu-ray didn't.

My standalone player doesn't even have scart on it. With a games console it makes a lot more sense. If you tv supported 60Hz and you had a mate with loads of blu-rays and didn't want to upgrade a tv yet, it wouldn't be that silly watching blu-rays on, just probably not an especially likely scenario.

Top Bottom