Boardman CX Comp 2014 - Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazzadoom

Regular
Hi all,

Got a Boardman CX Comp 2014 with a bit of play in the bottom bracket after 800 miles. I know its a square taper 68mm shell but when trying to find a replacement, there are lots of variants:

68x110
68x118
68x115
68x127
etc

Does anyone know which i need, or a suggestion as to one that would last a bit longer than 800 miles! Also, what does that second set of numbers refer to?

Thanks very muchly! ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A square taper BB with play after 800 miles. Blimey, you sure it's the BB? Square taper BB's are usually one of the most reliable of all BB's.

OP
OP
D

dazzadoom

Regular
Aye, bit of play when you move the end of the crank arms (both sides), and a rumble when spinning gears on the stand. :/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
oh ok.

The figures above are the BB shell size and the width.
68 is a normal English shell size.
You just need to check the width.

OP
OP
D

dazzadoom

Regular
ahh, so crank arms off and measure end to end? Got it.

Will report back when i know incase it helps someone else.

Thanks.

OP
OP
D

dazzadoom

Regular
Ok so just stripped it down and measured it at 103mm. So 68 x 103mm.

Done a search and there's not much choice to be honest. Anyone know why the wierd size?

evo456

Über Member
Wouldn't it be best just to go back to get a replacement gratis? I'll be looking to replace mine with hollow tech II variety when the time comes... but I could be waiting a long time.

evo456

Über Member
Ok so just stripped it down and measured it at 103mm. So 68 x 103mm.

Done a search and there's not much choice to be honest. Anyone know why the wierd size?

Sounds very short to me, when I get back tonight will measure mine.

OP
OP
D

dazzadoom

Regular
Wouldn't it be best just to go back to get a replacement gratis? I'll be looking to replace mine with hollow tech II variety when the time comes... but I could be waiting a long time.

I wasnt sure they would cover the Bottom Bracket under warrenty if im honest. Guess i could ask...

Nathan AV

Sorry for the thread resurrection, I didn't want to start a new topic with this here already. Did you resolve the bottom bracket issue @dazzadoom? Im asking as according to my Strava my boardman has done 854 miles and the bottom bracket sounds like a bag of spanners so it may need replacing (I've never had to deal with square taper before).

Top Bottom