Boardman Road Sport Specialized build and more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I must admit that I had forgotten about trace velo. I am happy with Chinese kit but it's the purchase method that concerns me having just been burned a Hong-Kong based company. Will see if I can get some through EvilBay.

I would like to replace my tiagra shifters as although they work fine the paint is really worn but due to parts shortages at work we had 2 weeks off paid but owed in overtime so im having to watch pennies for a few months .

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
The saga continues.....
View attachment 682938
52cm Allez. I picked it up Tuesday and looking forward to testing it out this weekend. Already planning to upgrade to 2X11 speed from 2X8. I know, I should just have fun riding! But to quote Descartes, "I fettle, therefore I am"
I planned the upgrade because of this....
20230407_103311.jpg

...which I didn't think was the best bit of engineering I have seen, but done to accomodate the shiter cables coming out the side of the shifters. Having been for a test ride wich was very comfy and stable apart from the vague shifting with all parts original from 2009 it would seem. So a browse of the interweb came up with a clearance Shimano R7000 groupset from CRC. So the current state of play is this....
20230407_184850.jpg

the new spec will be Shimano 105 11X2speed with new wheels from Madspeed. Hoping to have it done for next weekend.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
@Aluminum Falcon are they Toseek carbon? If so I’d be a bit wary of them as they do sometimes break
They are, and I am aware that the quality can be hit and miss with them. Hence not spending stupid money on plastic handles. Plus, I still have the original Specialized alli bars just in case. It only takes one fall to find out that carbon fibre doesn't bend.

Jameshow

Veteran
Is this more what you were thinking of?
View attachment 685669
nice bit of aero plastic :okay: I've really got the N+1 bug :hyper:

Think you need BA - bikes anonymous!

Number is 01501 531 853....

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
In October last year I said....
I'm not entirely happy as the gap between the chain and the guide is almost nothing in low gear (big ring) and with the RD/cassette in the 3 highest gears it rubs slightly. I've tried adjusting the tensioner on the down tube but seems to have not really had an effect. I'm not entirely sure that the chain, chainrings, derailleurs and rear wheel are liking their new home home on an ali frame with an external BB after being on a carbon frame with a 68mm wide BB
So having removed the English BB from the Specialized Allez, I decided to experiment and see if installing it on the Boardman would cure the rubbing.
20230416_175055.jpg

Certainly looks like it has.

OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
@Aluminum Falcon… so your getting into TT’s now?
It's a long term project. The main reasons for me cycling is to pick up where my late brother Mark left off with cycling for charity, and going as fast (not very, at the moment) as I can, which seems to me to be the whole point of cycling, to go places faster than you can walk.
Edit: plus I live somewhere rather flat and I fancied a plastic toy. And then there's the building and maintenance learning curve to enjoy as well :okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK421

TK421

Casual Extremist
20230508_133404.jpg

So far, I have swapped out the plastic bars for some 420mm Prime Doyenne's and the Madspeed7's are now living on the Boardman as I broke the back wheel :sad: So Red 5 is now has some Axis Classic wheels I had spare with Espoir Sport tyres, also spare till now. I have also got a new stem to get the right drop between seat and handlebars.

Top Bottom