Boardman T700 carbon frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Is it really worth buying best frame possible at the £1k c2w limit. Or just buy the best overall package. I suppose the question, are carbon fibre frames at this price point worth the money? Or are the alu frames at a grand the best going of that material?

2pies

Veteran
Its a tough one to answer, TBH. Most £1000 carbon bikes are tricky to buy through C2W e.g. Planet-X, Ribble etc. Some bikes that may be reduced to under £1000 may not be available under C2W (though I think Evans have lifted that restriction now).

Not sure about the T700, its not the same frame used in the rest of the Boardman range - the Pro uses the T800 frame. Its seems odd that Boardman would use different frames in the same series of bikes. Perhaps they've just gone all out to get a carbon bike under the £1000 mark. It seems that most carbon bikes start in the £1200 - £1500 range at entry level, so anything significantly less than that may be somewhat inferior. That's just my perception though.

What do you want to use it for? A £1000 Alu road bike is pretty good. I use mine for club runs, sportives etc. Would I like a carbon bike? Sure, but I can live with what I've got for a while. I'll probably spend nearer £2k on a carbon bike that ticks all the boxes in a year or two.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
was thinking that, you are getting a lot of bike for a grand, a decent carbon framed bike with decent wheels/groupset is going to be shed load more. The Planet X option is available but I`m going to have to pay a premium to get it in fact an extra 12%, Looking like its a Madone, Domane or a Cube at the grand level for me. As for use, majority, commuting in spring/summer with some weekend rides thrown in, not got round to joining the local CC yet.

NorvernRob

It's worth keeping an eye on the clearance bikes at various shops. I got the following from Planet X for £1000 last month:

Sab prestige full carbon Italian made frame and fork
Planet X 52mm carbon clinchers (alloy with carbon fairings)
Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres
FSA gossamer compact chainset and FSA headset
Sram Force front and rear mechs, Sram rival double tap shifters, sram rear cassette and chain
Planet X super light forged calipers (I sold these for £34 and upgraded to sram force for £61 second hand, so cost me £27 to upgrade)
Eddie Mercx finishing kit (saddle, bars, stem and tape)
Planet X pro carbon bottle cages

To buy separately from Planet X the frame and wheels alone are about £1k so it's definitely worth hanging on for a reduced bike.

29AE3BE0-56CE-4525-9E90-5D12BA35B0A8_zpskxg5xwxl.jpg

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
C2W is somewhat restricting though and as I said Planet X charge another £100 (10-12%) for C2W & Cycleplus, so my grand turns into £1100 ??!! If it was straight out cash payment, it would be harder as there are lots and lots off offers out there :biggrin: Anyway currently trying to change my voucher from C2W to Cycleplus as apparently I cant use my voucher anywhere other than Halfords, only took the C2W as I get an extra 10% off the price, CyclePlus is only 5%. Yes I`m a tight barstewered :tongue:

NorvernRob

That's true, but if you buy a bike with wheels that aren't very good it's the first thing everyone will tell you to upgrade. Then you've suddenly spent another £200-£300 minimum and that extra 5% saving doesn't look so good!

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well one of the bikes I did have my eye on does have decent wheels, however wheels are all very subjective, some would say they are a consumable. Anyway this is digressing, getting nowhere just now in my quest for a new bike lol, as cancelling the C2W and swapping it for Cycle Plus is proving to be quite hard :tongue:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Only skip read this as I am (supposed to be working).

T700 carbon - T = Toray (Torayca) - 700 = Modulus (grade of carbon).

My Sintesi is T800 - both frame & fork (some brands will use lower grade carbon on the fork than the frame).

Good news - Toray, one of the top 2 manufacturers of carbon (if not the top) Worldwide.

Toray manufacture 65HM1K for the Pinnerello Dogma used by Team Sky & Team Movistar in the Pro Peloton so can't be to shabby eh ?

Edit T700 is just fine & will be good quality carbon - just slightly lower in the chain than 800 & will have been specced to hit a price point.

The higher the cost of the raw carbon materials the pricier the frame & so on.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Still a in a wee bit of quandry with this, looks like choices are at a grand, a nice carbon frame with cheaper everything else or a nice Alu frame with half decent kit and wheels?? Just wonder if carbon frames at this price point are worth going for if the rest of the bike is somewhat underwhelming ?? Anyway have now enrolled on CyclePlus instead so opens up a whole new world of choice!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still a in a wee bit of quandry with this, looks like choices are at a grand, a nice carbon frame with cheaper everything else or a nice Alu frame with half decent kit and wheels?? Just wonder if carbon frames at this price point are worth going for if the rest of the bike is somewhat underwhelming ?? Anyway have now enrolled on CyclePlus instead so opens up a whole new world of choice!

Get the best you can afford. You can always upgrade in time. You don't want to end up with a 'I wish I had' type thing.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Groupset choices as well, just too many choices, Campag Veloce, Sram Rival ? Shimano I`m familiar with.
Your groupsets from each brand all have an equal in another - a quick google will reveal all.

Generally speaking they are similar in price for a given tier.

So Shimano Ultegra is equal to Sram Force, 105 equal to Rival & Dura Ace to Red etc.

Not so well up on Campy stuff but follows a similar vein.

It is possible to spend £100's more to save just 100 or 200 grams with only slightly better performance.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Cube Peloton Race £999 -
Cube Peloton Race £999 -
Cube Peloton Race £999 -

Why say it thrice ???

Well, double butted, light alloy frame, carbon fork & Mavic Aksium wheels & tyres - not to mention FULL - I say - FULL Shimano 105 groupset.

Stunning styling & paintjob is but a bonus.

Try getting a full 105 group & Mavics from any other brand at this price (Canyon & Ribble/Planet X type direct sales excluded).

Have a look around on the forum to see many who have seen the light.

Other top suggestion - Giant Defy 1 - magazine bike of the year winner several times over & with good reason.

But still I would take the Cube.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Oh my mind is practically made up on that Cube, yes full 105 and I`ve seen one in the flesh but in that horrid ( not too everyones taste ) red white and blue. Not keen on the Defy, looked a bit too meh :tongue:

Top Bottom