Bonjour!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hello all...

I have just been bitten by the cycling bug really... it has rescued my summer hols (I'm a teacher... no abuse please ;) ) as I'm not going away this year... I have a Scott Sportster hybrid, 08 model, which is great, but when I want to do rougher MTB stuff it's not quite there and when I want to cane it I can't!! It feels like you need 3 bikes!

ANYWAY, I came on here because I have a few questions

1) How fit does one need to be to join a cycling club? And are they friendly to ex-rugby players trying to get fit and lose weight?
2) Would a CTC club be better?
3) My friend has just announced the big plan - Calais - Nice next summer. What do I need to do to get to a point where I can do this?? Road bike? Training? Join a club?

Something for you all to get your teeth into doubtless....

Cheers

LanterneRouge

Hello LanterneRouge - welcome to the forums! Another Stockport resident here...

Regarding clubs, I've never formally joined one, mainly because I can't get out of bed to join their Sunday runs ;), but there are plenty in the area and most seem to have a slower ride for beginners.

You'll love cycling down to Nice; I've just returned from a cycling tour following the TDF and cycling in France is very enjoyable.

Re Fitness required - depends on how fast you want to do it......if you can manage a 70/80 mile day ride though, you'll be fine for gentle touring. Can your Scott take a rack/panniers?

a_n_t

For our clubruns we say 60 miles at 15 mph average but we have intro rides where they go as quick as the slowest rider.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Thanks ant! I have seen you guys meeting up at the Gateway - I go (sometimes!) to the gym at Virgin Active there.... always think how cool it would be to be able to join you. ;)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Cycling can give you what you want, but to get the best out of it, you have to put the effort (and miles) in.

The club 'scene' does it for some people, but not for others. Just do what feels right. To make the tour next year more enjoyable, get the miles in, and do some loaded rides too.

PK99

Legendary Member
ComedyPilot said:
. To make the tour next year more enjoyable, get the miles in, and do some loaded rides too.

and some consecutive long/hard/loaded days to convince your body that such things really are survivable!!

AliceTara

Guys, we're thinking of cycling in France in the Autumn. Do you have any advice on (i) how easy it is to rock up in the nearest town and find accommodation (e.g. are there loads of youth hostels or something similar) and (ii) how easy it is to take your bike on a train in France without pre-booking?