Booze in sigg bottles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Instructions say don't put alcohol in Sigg (or other aluminium) bottles. I'm tempted to ignore them and bung my sloe gin in one anyway (required for weekend walking/hostelling trip!!) as can't see any reason why not to..... Unless anyone knows any different?

silverbow

Something to do with the coating on the inside? Alcohol may react with it and remove it?

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
Interesting... Sigg bottles seem reasonably substantial - they must be able to withstand a certain amount of pressure. Guess its OK so longs as you open carefully...

wafflycat said:
According to Sigg, it's because in hot weather, the alcohol meay ferment & build up pressure.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
domd1979 said:
Instructions say don't put alcohol in Sigg (or other aluminium) bottles. I'm tempted to ignore them and bung my sloe gin in one anyway (required for weekend walking/hostelling trip!!) as can't see any reason why not to..... Unless anyone knows any different?

The alcohol reacts with the aluminium. I'd been using a Sigg bottle for several years as a fuel bottle and kept meths in it. I ignored the sludge and discoloration of the meths and used it without concern. Then I spotted someone's comments about alcohol and aluminium not being a good combination because of corrosion problems. Googling unearthed the fact that methanol is the worst culprit of the alcohol family.

vernon

wafflycat said:
According to Sigg, it's because in hot weather, the alcohol meay ferment & build up pressure.

Can't imagine a secondary fermentation with most alcoholic drinks that are decanted into the Sigg esp spirit based ones.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
vernon said:
The alcohol reacts with the aluminium. I'd been using a Sigg bottle for several years as a fuel bottle and kept meths in it. I ignored the sludge and discoloration of the meths and used it without concern. Then I spotted someone's comments about alcohol and aluminium not being a good combination because of corrosion problems. Googling unearthed the fact that methanol is the worst culprit of the alcohol family.

The bottles are lined, so guess your meths ate the lining first....!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
No there two types of Sigg bottle, lined (for use with fuel) and unlined for drinking from...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ask Andy in Sigg... he'll know.

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
HJ said:
No there two types of Sigg bottle, lined (for use with fuel) and unlined for drinking from...

There are two types - but the drinking ones are definitely lined.

Brains

Legendary Member
Still using my original 1987 Sigg bottle, it has many dents to prove it age.

Don't put anything other than water into your Sigg, you will be tasting it for ages to come

vernon

HJ said:

Mine was a fuel bottle and I wrongly thought it was suitable for all liquid fuels.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If the lacquer lining was intact, not damaged by dents, most liquids should be fine. However some drinks will attack unprotected alumiunium, not because of the ethanol but because of acidity. Have you ever seen red wine or coke in contact with marble or onyx?

Top Bottom