Born in the 40's 50's 60's or 70's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

congratulations’ TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully'sïalways ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

This is in big print as you are no longer a good age.

Aside from your wonderfully earnest message, what's with the ridiculously huge font that requires people to sprain their wrists scrolling to the end? :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
snorri said:
....and all the boys carried knives and no one seemed concerned.:biggrin:

I got a penknife when I went to Guide camp when I was 10 so there.... my daughter is going this year... and it took me back and I noticed the "No Penknife rule", but they are going to have a chance to use penknives that the adults will bring, which I guess is a fair compromise.

I think our childhood was less pressured than today's generation experience.

Brains

Legendary Member
Personally I think the kids of the 70's already had a lot of today's issues, by the time they were 10 years old McDonald's and Pizza hut were around, TV had more than 3 channels, video machines were common, PC's had started to arrive in schools, lead based paint and asbestos were banned and seat-belts were in every car.

So I think it's the kids of the 30's to the 60's that had the fun and the benefits of the welfare state. They were the 1st generations that did not have to worry about starving or being treated in hospital.

The generation has a name. The baby boomers. (Although strictly speaking that is the lot born 1945 to 1955, but 15 years ether side really covers it)

peanut

there is a serious side to this . Why is it that so many of us born in the 50's did survive all that ? and why are more and more of younger people getting cancer and major organ failure and asthma and other dreadful diseases etc.

I frequently walked a mile to and from school in pea-soupers ,feeling my way along hedges and walls as I couldn't even see my feet .Both my parents chain smoked ,in fact everyone did

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think the bottom line is probably that kids were out playing all the time, burning up loads of energy. I don't know if it is a fact but I suspect the more sedentary we are, the more prone to illness we are. Additionally I suspect the key factor in kids not being like kids anymore is television. We would probably be better off if there were only two channels again and if they were firmly focussed at adults. Secondly kids should not have their own access to the internet and computer games, in fact anything which keeps them indoors and not using their brains. Another good thing would be to ban any advertising which specifically targets children as all that that teaches them is materialism.

None of this will happen of course.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's one of the reasons I am going to be moving to the place I am next year. I want my kids to grow up in a place where the outdoors is the best place to be.

I think you are too pessimistic as regard the advertising thing - inroads are alread being made and I can see advertising aimed at children being banned completely in the not-too distant future.

On TV - I grew up with TV, but the point was, not so much TV. It was something you watched occasionally - Dr Who, or the serial on Sunday teatime, cartoons on Saturday morning. Parents need to control access. And the point is that most parents need to do this, not just some parents, otherwise you get massive resentment, envy and that feeling that your parents are weird...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Flying_Monkey said:
It's one of the reasons I am going to be moving to the place I am next year. I want my kids to grow up in a place where the outdoors is the best place to be.

I think you are too pessimistic as regard the advertising thing - inroads are alread being made and I can see advertising aimed at children being banned completely in the not-too distant future.

On TV - I grew up with TV, but the point was, not so much TV. It was something you watched occasionally - Dr Who, or the serial on Sunday teatime, cartoons on Saturday morning. Parents need to control access. And the point is that most parents need to do this, not just some parents, otherwise you get massive resentment, envy and that feeling that your parents are weird...

That is good to hear and it's news to me. I must be more out of touch than I thought.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Andy in Sig said:
That is good to hear and it's news to me. I must be more out of touch than I thought.

Well, there was a serious attempt to ban food advertising aimed at children which partially succeeded. There are people chipping away...

Hi All. When I was a lad we didn't have 24 hour tv, there were just three channels and they started mid afternoon and finished at about midnight so when we had the school holidays up until about half three there was nothing to watch anyway. In fact thinking about it on school holidays some programmes were withdrawn anyway. All this meant that we got outside a lot more than the current youth do.
Although when we set up the playstations at our church youth club not many of the kids actualy use them.

Top Bottom