Born in the 40's 50's 60's or 70's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Headgardener said:
All this meant that we got outside a lot more than the current youth do.

No much wonder with all the old miserable feckers nowadays moaning about kids hanging about outside! :blush:

Brains

Legendary Member
The kids are getting less fit than even their older siblings

The Army has had to increase basic training by about one day per year since the 1960's to ensure that kids get to the same level as they were 50 years ago, hence basic training is now 6 weeks longer - the fitness test has not changed.

We also noticed that a group of Explorer Scouts (aged about 16-18) took exactly half as much time again to do a multi-day Alpine circuit as their identical compatriots had taken 15 years earlier.

When I was in my early 20's I would regularly beat my middle aged Leaders to the top of mountains, we all could, and the Leaders expected it.

Now I'm middle aged I have yet to be beaten to the top of a mountain by a 20 year old, they simply don't have the stamina of the kids of 20-30 years ago.

Noodley

Give it a bloody rest! :blush:

I'm sure my dad could tell stories of how he could walk further than I could when he were a lad, national service does them good, it were better in the old days, being beaten by their dad with a belt did them good, etc..

:evil::ohmy:

People see what they want to see IMO. You miserable feckers! :blush::smile:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Well I was born in '67 and I didn't have this Just William childhood. My mum did go out to work. I usually went straight home after school and watched telly. My mum wouldn't have been too happy about me staying out till nightfall. She always wanted to know where I bl**dy well was. There was never any caning at my schools; I think I was only slapped once. I seem to recall some kids did get the slipper at one of my schools, but never caned. I never even wore short trousers. I was certainly never allowed a catapult. The worst we did was flick elastic bands and fire spud-guns at each other. I spent hours playing computer programs in my teens, on a Sinclair Spectrum mainly. I seem to remember there was plenty of over-protective molly coddling, control freakery, and politically correct indoctrination going on in the 70s. It was a battle just to be allowed a penknife.

Top Bottom