Bovril?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry, I just thought some of the more minority drinks were under represented...:laugh:

What other beverages deserve a mention? I had my first taste of Dandelion and Burdock at the weekend, and don't feel the need to have another... Quite like savoury drinks though - cup a soup, thin stock, that sort of thing. Not that I make stock up to drink, but if I'm cooking and there's some left, I might well swig it...

Wolf04

Arch said:
Sorry, I just thought some of the more minority drinks were under represented...:laugh:

What other beverages deserve a mention? I had my first taste of Dandelion and Burdock at the weekend, and don't feel the need to have another... Quite like savoury drinks though - cup a soup, thin stock, that sort of thing. Not that I make stock up to drink, but if I'm cooking and there's some left, I might well swig it...

Yuk to Bovril! If you have any of that Dandelion and Burdock left? Some Cinder Toffee too would be nice.
:tongue:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Dandelion and Burdock. Yeuch. Tastes like cough medicine. Dr Pepper's the same stuff as far as I can tell.

I'm with you on the Bovril though. I don't often think to have it myself, but I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered me.

Maz

Guru
I love the smell of Bovril. Has it got beef in it, though, or is it vegetable extracts and things?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I love the smell of Bovril. Has it got beef in it, though, or is it vegetable extracts and things?

Bovril should be beef, but I've got a nasty feeling they mucked it about.

<checks Wiki>

Yes, it did get changed, then back again...

"In November 2004, the manufacturers, Unilever, announced that the composition of Bovril was being changed from beef to a yeast extract, both in the hope of allaying fears of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and to make the product suitable for vegetarians and vegans. According to Unilever, "in blind taste tests, 10% didn't notice any difference in taste, 40% preferred the original and 50% preferred the new product."

The manufacturer also hoped to increase exports (Unilever UK Export) to Asian countries such as Malaysia, a primarily Muslim country where the government was becoming restrictive regarding non-halal meat. By changing Bovril to a non-meat base, Unilever hoped to increase sales in the country, where people enjoy Bovril stirred into porridge.

The removal of beef from the recipe in 2004 was not without criticism, with many complaining that the new variant did not taste the same and had a different mouth feel. Beef extract was eventually re-introduced as a key Bovril ingredient in 2006, after the European Commission lifted its ban on the export of Britain's beef products."

I saw some old packaging in a museum once, for a similar product called "ExOx" - an even more graphic description of what it's made from really...

Marmite can also be made up as a drink, and that is veggie.

A stock made from Marigold Vegetable Boullion powder is also nice.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
It's fizzy Benylin. :laugh:

Radio 4 have a comedy show called "genius" where people have to come up with random ideas, and someone once put forward the idea of fizzy Bovril as a soft drink...:tongue:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I prefer Marmite. I went off it for a bit after I worked at a brewery (trust me, quality controller in a brewery isn't the fantastic job it sounds) and saw the stuff it's made out of...

Smeggers

Uncle Phil said:
Dandelion and Burdock. Yeuch. Tastes like cough medicine. Dr Pepper's the same stuff as far as I can tell.
Two of my favourtite sparkling non alcoholic beverages.

Funny how him upstairs made us all different int it.

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
Marmite can also be made up as a drink, and that is veggie...
I might give the Marmite drink a go. What do you do? Stir a teaspoonful of Marmite into boiling water?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I might give the Marmite drink a go. What do you do? Stir a teaspoonful of Marmite into boiling water?

Yeah, pretty much. I guess you can then add more marmite/water to taste...

I wonder if you can now get veggie Bovril though? Alongside the beef stuff?

Tetedelacourse

Ah Bovril (not bisto)

A crisp Saturday afternoon on the terraces, bright sun late in the sky, providing little respite from the sort of cold that oozes from the ground, up through your feet and into your bones. Scotch pie in one hand, brimming with grease that, when you sink your teeth into it, makes a fast escape down your chin. You allow the beefy vapour of your Bovril to warm your face before you chase the pie with it.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
cup-a-soup doesn't get much of a mention these days. Oxtail is a beaut!

I use cupasoup as a very lazy sauce on a very lazy snack. One pack of basics quick cook noodles, cooked without the sachet of MSG, and chicken cupasoup made up a little on the thick side. Bung cooked noodles in soup and slurp down, with chopsticks if preferred. Mmmmm.

Haven't had oxtail soup for ages though! Am going shopping on the way home, might have to succumb!

Top Bottom