Brand new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wheelfun

Regular
Completely brand new to this site and in fact completely nee to cycling! There's probably no one else less experienced than me on here! First thing first... What bike that doesn't cost a fortune and what gear to cycle around Sussex? I can't do anymore gym or running (teeny weeny bored of both) :-)

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Welcome - depends on many things. What's your budget, how often will you cycle, where will you cycle and what type of bike are you after...stick them on & you'll get floods of answers...or at least trickles...but answers nonetheless :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
Completely brand new to this site and in fact completely nee to cycling! There's probably no one else less experienced than me on here! First thing first... What bike that doesn't cost a fortune and what gear to cycle around Sussex? I can't do anymore gym or running (teeny weeny bored of both) :-)

Hi and :welcome: to Cycle Chat! Lots of info on the site, have a look at the Bike Buying forum - as @Turbo Rider says it all depends on budget and preferred ride. Aldi have sales of cheap(ish) gear for cyclists if there is one near you, generally good stuff - otherwise t'interweb is a good source. Regards, Mark

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: - you will probably find most of the questions you have are on here with answers already; using the 'search' button helps.

Otherwise, ask away. My suggestion first is to think about what you're aiming to use a bike for; i.e. only on the road, a mixture of on road and off-road or only off-road. Your rough budget would help as well.

For clothing and other items, keep an eye on the Bargain sub-forum.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. All that running does get a bit monotonous. With a bike you can travel and see places. It sounds like you don't want to spend too much. Might be an idea to start off with a second hand machine to test the waters. For little money you could get a vintage drop bar bike, trouble is unless you know what you are looking at you can get a load of trouble, @biggs682 of this parish has some which are fully checked. What's your height?
As for clothing all you need is some shorts and a top, plus some shoes which clip into special pedals but you can just use ordinary foot ware for starters. I think Aldi, or is it Lidl have cycling gear for cheap. Someone on here can advise. Don't forget a basic tool kit, a pump (floor type) and picture repair stuff. Good luck.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @2wheelfun and :welcome:.

As already mentioned, if you can give an idea of budget and what kind of riding you have in mind we can give some suggestions. Gear wise, there are certain things you'll want for the bike (pump, repair kit/tubes, multi tool, etc) but you don't really need cycle specific clothing to start with.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
evening @2wheelfun as mentioned by @Cycleops i normally have a couple of retro road bikes in the £150 - 300 budget area all will have been road tested for a min of 50 miles after having whatever work done on them .

so a couple of questions for you

how much do you want to spend ?
how tall or short are you ?
any hated colours ?
down tube or sti shifters ?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello. Welcome to the forum :welcome:

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Wow thank you for all your answers... Okay where to start?? I'm 5.6 & I live nr Hassocks. I would want to cycle off road possibly, as I don't think I'm confident enough on the road yet... When I did, I keep letting cars passing me by, a disaster!! I have a bike but a friend (experienced cyclist) said its a bit rubbish, but it's a start and I can cycle locally to get a feel and find out what I really like!... So I'll follow the good advice to go to LIDL or Aldi for basic stuff & then find out about local routes for basic rides!! Lovely site & great advice :-)

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Hello and welcome. All that running does get a bit monotonous. With a bike you can travel and see places. It sounds like you don't want to spend too much. Might be an idea to start off with a second hand machine to test the waters. For little money you could get a vintage drop bar bike, trouble is unless you know what you are looking at you can get a load of trouble, @biggs682 of this parish has some which are fully checked. What's your height?
As for clothing all you need is some shorts and a top, plus some shoes which clip into special pedals but you can just use ordinary foot ware for starters. I think Aldi, or is it Lidl have cycling gear for cheap. Someone on here can advise. Don't forget a basic tool kit, a pump (floor type) and picture repair stuff. Good luck.
Thank you! A lot of jargon already!!! A vintage drop bar bike? Do you mean, flower basket in the front? I know what you mean,.. No clip on shoes as they freak me out (now) what if I get stuck etc... But I'll look into it all! Many thanks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you! A lot of jargon already!!! A vintage drop bar bike? Do you mean, flower basket in the front? I know what you mean,.. No clip on shoes as they freak me out (now) what if I get stuck etc... But I'll look into it all! Many thanks.
sorry no baskets , and you are not the only one who doesnt fancy using clip in pedals so dont panics

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi 2wf...
Welcome to the forum
Most of the guys have said it all already so I wont go into to much but what I will add is..
Have a little think on where you want to go with your biking as a lot of people change there minds on what they want to do after they get into biking a bit more and end up buying bikes and then selling them again..
I only say this as I have bought loads of bike in the last 2 years, to get where I am now..
Its all been great fun since I started riding a cycle again and wouldn't change any of it, so good luck and remember its addictive? :cheers:

Top Bottom