Brand new

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Boon 51 you are right... I'm going to use the bike I have as I want to go on the road first and then try a bit off road (Sussex got plenty of routes), then see what I like and whether I can do it without braking all the time especially downhill !

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

View: http://youtu.be/xVsV4cjEiKM

Size matters though,

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Sorry I'm not expert and I do appreciate Italian bikes are the best (most of my relatives back home worship Bianchi), but a bike is a bike? Am I wrong?... Mmmm I can see becoming v unpopular here :-)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Completely brand new to this site and in fact completely nee to cycling! There's probably no one else less experienced than me on here! First thing first... What bike that doesn't cost a fortune and what gear to cycle around Sussex? I can't do anymore gym or running (teeny weeny bored of both) :-)
Hi and welcome..

If its a road bike, then you may want to check out decathlon, they make a splendid bike called a triban I think its on its 5th incarnation now.....that has gained something of a cult status.

It's about £400

No need to spend a fortune to get started.

Completely brand new to this site and in fact completely nee to cycling! There's probably no one else less experienced than me on here! First thing first... What bike that doesn't cost a fortune and what gear to cycle around Sussex? I can't do anymore gym or running (teeny weeny bored of both) :-)
Welcome to CC

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Hi, thanks for your advice that seems from a veteran serious cyclist... Like someone who could cross America!

BigonaBianchi

Hi, thanks for your advice that seems from a veteran serious cyclist... Like someone who could cross America!

I ride assertively and in such a manner as to control the traffic in.my immediate area. As a new cyclist I advise you to do the same.

Read the highway code, it has some good advice on how to do this.

Mostly it's all about riding in the right position for the situation at the time. Avoid sudden movements and don't pull out suddenly without warning.
Take your lane, as if you were in your car. Communicate clearly by clear hand signals and body position. Keep eye contact with drivers at junctions where possible. Ride on the road, do not be bullied onto the pavement.
Get familiar with your equipment so you are free to concentrate on the rides. Use your ears, they will tell you what is behind you. When cars pass you, expect them to be to close. Be ready and do not swerve or panic. Cars usually come in groups of two or more, the most dangerous ones are the last ones, as they cut in to quick as they should never have tried to take you in the first place.

Watch for bad surfaces , potholes and loose shingle are dangerous. Cars don't understand or expect you to swerve around these so look ahead and indicate before you move out.

Be extra alert around van drivers, hgvs, taxis.

Never undertake a vehicle on it's blind side. Never jump a red light.

Understand how to ride on.primary position, check the highway code.

Anticipate ahead. Most drivers are sensible, but 10% are lunatics and dam dangerous. I assume all drivers are in the 10% because I have no way of knowing who is and who isn't. That way is safer.

Learn how your body reacts in certain situations. If you are tired you will react differently so be ready. Don't rely on a final burst of speed to get you out of trouble, better to not get in trouble in the first place.

Ride conditions affect performance. Riding in the rain will impact on your vision, braking, strength etc. Cars arnt affected and make no allowance for how this will affect a cyclist.
Wet equals slippery, so be ready.

Size does matter and getting the right sized bike is important. You.need an experienced rider to.measure you so it fits properly.

There is a wealth of info on this forum. Lots of helpful people. Most of what I know I learned on here. I suggest you ask every single question you have, no matter how silly you may feel it is.
Regarding equipment and clothing. Getting these right will make for a more satisfying ride. You need to be safe and comfortable so you are free to enjoy the ride and not worry about if the equipment will do it's job, or getting to hot, or wet etc.

So getting the right bike is only.part of the picture. You should get the right size bike, the right equipment such as pedal choice, tyres, cassette and crankset ratios, etc and wear the right clothes for the ride conditions.

Don't let all that put you off. The more you ride the better it gets!

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Wow bigonabianchi !! That's impressive... I'm not sure I can take it all on board straight away.
I'm going to have a look at the Highway Code first as I thought its common sense and I didn't need to look at it, but you are right! I'm sure riding with all that understanding makes a huge difference and most of all makes it fun, safely!
How wonder how far should I ride for to begin with, shall I base it on time or distance?
Grazie Mille you are a star!

BigonaBianchi

Just ride at any opportunity. You will save yourself a lot of pain if you listen to advice and get a proper bike that fits you. Get a helmet and wear it too!

Each time you drive, stop and get on the bike instead if local.

OP
OP
2wheelfun

2wheelfun

Regular
Advice? I will get it... I got a very good friend of mine who I'm sure will want to help! An experienced devoted cyclist, apparently he tells me that bikes have feelings and need to be nurtured...! Thank uu

Top Bottom