Bright flashing front bike light in daylight - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The other day I was walking through a pedestrianised section of road. A police van in front of me was being driven at little more than walking pace, with the hazards on. When the driver wanted to pull over, he had lost the ability to indicate for an increased ability to see a large white van. Good trade off?
Hazards lights on a slow moving vehicle... well they do tip you off that something hazardous is about to happen and it would so spoil the drivers fun if they indicated to others what that might be...

Reactions: _aD

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ahh. The "pretty obvious" school of scientific investigation.

Please go read "The Invisible Gorilla" et al. Studies suggest the likelihood of you being seen has very little to do with your own appearance and behaviour and everything to do with the expectations of the person doing the looking.

The drivers who look and see will see a cyclist without blinky blinkies, but still may not drive appropriately, whilst the drivers who look but don't see won't see even if the cyclist is lit up like a Xtmas tree and dressed like a space lemon, and they certainly won't drive appropriately as a result.
But, the gorilla wasn't wearing flashing lights was it? If it had been the results may have been different.^_^.

stu9000

Amazing what some people mistakenly believe.

Every 2nd post you write demands evidence. Not a bad thing in itself. But unrealistic beyond a certain point.

Most people on this forum are quite capable of sifting through the available data to make a reasoned judgement.

You seem to be arguing that there is no evidence to support the view that flashers increase the likelihood of one being seen. I pointed out that everything from life jackets to emergency vehicles suggest otherwise but you demand more evidence.

I have no problem with being asked to back up my assertions but this is cycle chat and not the Lancet .

What if we were talking about whether the earth was round. Would you steadfastly stick to a flat earth policy until someone provided evidence for you. Or would you make a judgement based on the widely available data from a range of sources that suggest otherwise?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What if we were talking about whether the earth was round. Would you steadfastly stick to a flat earth policy until someone provided evidence for you. Or would you make a judgement based on the widely available data from a range of sources that suggest otherwise?
As you say, evidence that the world is round is widely available from a range of sources.

Evidence that flashing front lights make cyclists safer, on the the other hand, isn't. Any more than evidence that dressing like a space lemon makes them safer either.

So when folk assert "IT'S OBVIOUS" some of us are bound to ask "is it though?"

Cyclists should not have to modify their appearance to be safe in broad daylight. Rather motor vehicle operators should have to modify their behaviour. And that's all there is to it.

Top Bottom