Brightest rear light/s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A section on safety? Then the gloves would really come off! I don't think Shaun would risk it, the blood would running out of the servers!
Well there is evidence that bare knuckle boxing is actually safer than gloved... :whistle:

jeffo50

Regular
This posting might be a bit late, but there's no harm in having more rear lights. :smile:

I bought an "Owl eyes" looking rear red lights from Wil ko for about £7. They utilise cree technology and pulsate so bright and intense, that I had to look away. I was immediately sold.

It's well made, has a thin gasket seal and takes 2 x AAA batteries.
The plastic isn't the cheapest quid store type, nor is it the high end type.

I'm really pleased with it and thought to share my new light with you guys.

compo

Veteran
I bought an "Owl eyes" looking rear red lights from Wil ko for about £7. They utilise cree technology and pulsate so bright and intense, that I had to look away. I was immediately sold.

Have you had it long enough to assess battery life yet?

jeffo50

Regular
@compo
I've only had it a few days, but will keep tabs on battery life.
Seeing that it takes two AAA batteries, I'm hoping that it'll last at least a month or thereabouts. We shall see.

Here is a photo of the light.

I'm sure there is a branded light out there, that looks similar to this one.

Attachments

• 20150107_204311.jpg
    20150107_204311.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150107_204259.jpg
    20150107_204259.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 51
oh, it's a smart R2 copy. A, pretty good for £7.

But again, think carefully about blinding lights! I was in Richmond Park last night, and on my final downhill, some arse passed me with a blindingly bright rear light. I had to stop and wait until he was clear and the red dots disappeared from my eyes before I could finish the descent.

And while I am on the subject, if you are in a car-free, unlit environment, take your front lights off flashing mode. Please!!!

jeffo50

Regular
@jefmcg
Yes, I will bear that in mind. Should I then leave the front light on constant? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

The switch has 3 settings, constant, dual side pulsing and left right left right pulsing.

If the light is too bright, you can always loosen the small screw and angle the bracket, downwards a tad.

Attachments

• 1420666536927.jpg
    1420666536927.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 50
@jefmcg
Should I then leave the front light on constant? Sorry, I'm a newbie.

If the light is too bright, you can always loosen the small screw and angle the bracket, downwards a tad.
It depends IMO what you want the light for; seeing or being seen; its best solid if you need to see on a dark lane for example but flashing appears to be the most notable for being seen.

Similar to your rear light try and angle it down a bit and/or to the kerb if you feel its too bright to oncoming vehicles, like other cyclists on a narrow cyclepath.

I think @HLaB advice is cannon. I personally hate flashing front lights, so wouldn't use it at all. But definitely not in a dark environment where there's no chance of a car mistaken you.

(I realise I left my R2 on in Richmond Park. I've got a less bright one, I'll just use that in the park from now on)

DRHysted

Guru
I have various different rear lights on my bikes, at least two per bike. But I have just bought this for myself.
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/115902131" width="500" height="889" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="

View: http://vimeo.com/115902131
">Veglo X4 (2)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user36093707">Duane Hysted</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/115902036" width="500" height="889" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="

View: http://vimeo.com/115902036
">Veglo X4</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user36093707">Duane Hysted</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I only use flashing fronts in the daytime or when the front light is some rubbish tesco/smart/knog/cateye LED blinkie that offers an almost inconsequential amount of illumination that I choose not to waste battery life by running it on constant.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'm by no means an expert but it seems to me that there is far more to being seen than the brightness of the light. I used to ride a motorcycle into central London with part of my ride on fast country A roads in the days when motorcycles were starting to use their headlights all the time. I found that after a while of using my headlight I was back to having to avoid motorists who hadn't seen me. And yes, I had fitted a non standard high quality headlight.

Currently it seems to me that the use of headlights in towns by motorists hides the hazards in glare and hence the attempt is to try and fit brighter and brighter rear lights. I've certainly been driving at night behind a cyclist and spent some time trying to work out what that incredibly bright light in front of me is.

I've seen an attempt at a scientific study of vehicle and road lighting on the internet but I suspect very little has been done officially in any country to address the topic.

And safety is an aspect that needs to be addressed in many categories from clothing to adjusting settings on a bike, not in a separate section.

andrew_rc46

The brightest is the DesignShine but it is difficult to get hold off due it being made by a guy in his garage in the US.
The brightest commercial rear bike light is the "Dinotte 400R", there is an even brighter version called the "Dinotte 400R Daytime" but it's far too bright for night time use.
just look at the price though. it seams that you can put a price on safety.

Top Bottom