Briton wins world BMX title.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Phillips makes British BMX history
Last updated 3 hours ago

_77869752_phillips2_getty.jpg

Liam Phillips won the world title in New Zealand last year
Liam Phillips has become the first British man to win the UCI BMX Supercross series world title.

The 25-year-old world champion led the series going into the fifth and final round, in California, but crashed in the quarter-finals.

But is BMX considered a "real" sport or is it more associated with teenagers in hoodies?

montage

God Almighty
BMX involves pedalling, but I am still unsure whether it can be deemed as cycling! Kind of like downhill

montage

God Almighty
Maybe why there has been so little interest in this post. People don't consider it as "serious" cycling.

Unfair really, but yeah I would agree. The physical demands for it are certainly not easy, some great track riders started in bmx (hoy), but I believe that most of the top talent goes towards the track.

fimm

Veteran
Shanaze Reed (my apologies, I am too lazy to go and find out how to spell her name correctly) is an example of someone who does/did both BMX and track cycling.
Both it and downhill MTBing look very fast and skillfull to me.

zizou

Veteran
The bike control they have plus the power they put out at the start would suggest they are very serious cyclists indeed.

As a viewing spectacle though the racing doesnt interest me much - its often all about the first corner then whoever is in the lead then trying to avoid making a mistake rather than the racers behind having an opportunity to overtake. I appreciate the skill and fitness involved - however Id rather watch a BMX tricks/stunts video than a race.

oldroadman

Veteran
Most important thing is that it's a way to get young kids into cycling and exercise generally, and experience proper competition. Plus it's fun to do, requires good skills, nerve, bike handling ability, a cool head, and unlimited determination. As has been said, quite a few gravitate towards track, and the natural progression that brings as they improve at that. Others stay in BMX which is big business in places like the US, Brits seem pretty good at it (!!) so what's not to like?

lozcs

Guru
Phillips is boyfriend of Jess Varnish who on that weekend retained her 4 gold medals at the Nationals in Manchester - quite a successful weekend for them both...

Top Bottom