Broke the speed limit today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeShapedObject

Formerly austin-towers
30.5 Mph! I hereby FINE MYSELF 10 SHILLINGS.

May not seem that fast to some of you, but it was FLAT OUT, pedals spinning faster than a very fast thing.... perhaps an extra gear is needed....

Theres a stretch of road along the coast near me with speed cameras, its great fun trying to set them off!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most mornings I get held up by cars going through the speed camera...they usually do about 26-27, so their speedo's are out by a bit.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I went down my road one time, its a 30mph road.
Thought i was going abit fast
Looked down, was doing 39.5mph
Woops:ohmy::blush:

Davidc

Guru
fossyant said:
Most mornings I get held up by cars going through the speed camera...they usually do about 26-27, so their speedo's are out by a bit.

Don't think its that. Many car drivers tend to slow down excessively for speed cameras. I've had to brake hard behind some in 60 limits who've slowed from 60 to 40ish.

The speeds are set too high for me to get flashed on the bike in a 30 limit, but there's one in a 20 limit I can set off if I'm going in the downhill direction.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
speedos are calibrated to be a few mph faster than your actually going. thus you can't blame the manufacture for giving you a speedo that was to accurate and caused you to get a ticket.

Davidc

Guru
austin-towers said:
30.5 Mph! I hereby FINE MYSELF 10 SHILLINGS.

May not seem that fast to some of you, but it was FLAT OUT, pedals spinning faster than a very fast thing.... perhaps an extra gear is needed....

Small technical point - unless you're in/on a MOTOR vehicle you can't, because the limit only applies to them. You can go as fast as you like on your bike!

GrasB

Veteran
gaz said:
speedos are calibrated to be a few mph faster than your actually going. thus you can't blame the manufacture for giving you a speedo that was to accurate and caused you to get a ticket.
Calibrated? You're having a laugh! Having done a fair number of rolling road days I can tell you speedos are wildly out, even the same make & model. Under 40mph a fair number are actually reading fractionally low, typically those with 'optional' larger alloys! By around 50mph however all speedos I've seen with stock, or fairly stock sized tyres, are at the right speed or over-reading.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hit 40.2 mph on friday chasing the guy in a focus who cut me up ....... boy did he have a shock when we reached the junction :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
cyberknight said:
Hit 40.2 mph on friday chasing the guy in a focus who cut me up ....... boy did he have a shock when we reached the junction ;)

Like it....

PS no-one passed me, Dan_bo and Longers coming off Saddleworth into Greenfield...... no cars...... for a fair few miles...... main A road.....:evil:

42 sustained....44 max......really nice descent.....and ideal conditions - Buzzin at the end........

I sense you lot feel the need for speed :evil: I have a nice hill on the dual carrageway about a mile long but when I hit about 24mph the nerves kick in and I brake. Dont really want to speed wobble in front of an artic.
But I am getting more confident on the normal roads now.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
terryd said:
I sense you lot feel the need for speed ;) I have a nice hill on the dual carrageway about a mile long but when I hit about 24mph the nerves kick in and I brake. Dont really want to speed wobble in front of an artic.

You will be fine.
Ive done 48mph before down a very narrow hill in Derbyshire.
Im sure you will be fine.:evil:

terryd said:
I sense you lot feel the need for speed ;) I have a nice hill on the dual carrageway about a mile long but when I hit about 24mph the nerves kick in and I brake. Dont really want to speed wobble in front of an artic.

Speed wobbles only seem to kick in at about 50mph :evil:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Huh, well I went 45mph on my Brompton up a hill after some chavs threw an egg at me out a car. They were pretty shocked to find me waiting at the top of the hill for them, but they coughed up the money to dry clean my suit.

Top Bottom