Brompton T-Line is here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Yes I got one too, no way I was gonna buy one mind.

They said that originally, but on the email it says you can have it delivered to your home or to your preferred dealer.

Here’s a cut’n’paste from the Link To Purchase email I got yesterday - was yours different?

Collecting your new bike
  • The new T Line bike is only available to buy online at Brompton.com and must be collected from the London Covent Garden Junction Store.
  • Home delivery or pick-up from any other Brompton stockist cannot be arranged, sorry.
  • As soon as the bike is available to collect, the Brompton Junction team will contact you. This may take up to 12 weeks. If for any reason, the dispatch time extends beyond 12 weeks we will inform you directly.
  • The three complimentary services at 1, 4 and 12 months of ownership will be provided at the London Covent Garden Junction store.

Good morning,

Here’s a cut’n’paste from the Link To Purchase email I got yesterday - was yours different?

Collecting your new bike
  • The new T Line bike is only available to buy online at Brompton.com and must be collected from the London Covent Garden Junction Store.
  • Home delivery or pick-up from any other Brompton stockist cannot be arranged, sorry.
  • As soon as the bike is available to collect, the Brompton Junction team will contact you. This may take up to 12 weeks. If for any reason, the dispatch time extends beyond 12 weeks we will inform you directly.
  • The three complimentary services at 1, 4 and 12 months of ownership will be provided at the London Covent Garden Junction store.

Looking around t'internet says that Brompton make 40k-50k bikes per year with 70%-80% going abroad, it's not as if 90% of sales are commuters into London.

It almost looks like a limited release with extensive follow ups to ensure that nothing is going wrong before a full launch.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
B

berlinonaut

Veteran
You have to pick it up in person from Brompton Junction London. From what I’ve heard, Brompton are not giving end users the boxes and the bike will be registered to you pre-handover - I guess in an attempt to stop reselling abroad.
Speculative offerings have already started. From the UK:

42862441ia.png

From Singapore:

nc_ohc=1VnB4GYGKn4AX-83lcN&_nc_ht=scontent.fsin3-1.jpg

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Looking at the video yesterday, it seems they did a pretty good job of going over the whole bike to find weight savings. New bottom bracket casting, carbon crankset & forks etc. Didn't look like there are many opportunities for further weight savings other than maybe wheels with only enough spokes to carry the average smaller asian person. Price looks reasonable to me given what I spent to shave over 1Kg from a recent superlight purchase.
Plenty of comments on Facebook this morning calling it ugly, ugly welds, don't they know how to weld etc, suggesting that the knock off Chinese titanium frames are better etc, but that's fine if you weigh about 50Kg, and if it snaps in half, good luck getting it fixed if you didn't end up under a bus when it failed. The comment in the video that stood out to me was the guy said "It's not a show pony, its been engineered for every day use", plus it's being built by C W Fletchers in Sheffield who have already been building the superlight rear triangle and forks for ages and I've yet to hear of one of those failing anywhere other than the easywheel mount where a bike's been dropped on it. Pretty sure they know what they're doing considering the other work they do in the aerospace and nuclear industries.

Wonder if we'll see any "anodised" frames to add a bit of colour!

As soon as they're a bit more available, I'll no doubt cave in and treat myself!

CEBEP

I missed the video. Is the frame all Ti?
If yes I wander how they solved flex issue. Making it thicker would probably eliminate weight savings difference.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It looks excellent and the pricing isnt too bad all things considered. Carbon fork and crankset look very nice too and the carbon / steel seatpost is very innovative.

from what they say about "re-design" it don't think there is much compatibility between the Ti model and others - we'll see in time.

If I was still riding a brompton daily I'd be having one. 1.5kg saving on a superlight is not to be sneezed at.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
I missed the video. Is the frame all Ti?
If yes I wander how they solved flex issue. Making it thicker would probably eliminate weight savings difference.
It's a bigger slightly oval shaped tube, and the bit at the bottom of the seat tube that connects bottom bracket and rear triangle is a new casting.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My brain is still stuck in thinking that a Brompton should only cost £600, the same it has thought for the last 15 years or so. This might be the version to move the needle to £2k.

shingwell

The comment in the video that stood out to me was the guy said "It's not a show pony, its been engineered for every day use"
This is precisely why you pay what you do, for any Brompton, not just is one. No B is a show pony, but they do what they are built to do day in and day out, and they do it better than anything else.

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
This is precisely why you pay what you do, for any Brompton, not just is one. No B is a show pony, but they do what they are built to do day in and day out, and they do it better than anything else.
I noted it more since the majority of the weight weenie builds in the far east using the chinese frames usually also use wheels that wouldn't last 5 minutes on the average pot holed streets of the uk due to having most of the spokes removed!

The fact that you will now be able to effectively buy a bike off the shelf with all the mods done to it already, with a warranty and company to back it up should anything go wrong for about the same price as building one using lightweight aftermarket parts and a chinese frame will I suspect give those suppliers something to worry about!

Expect to see the bay of e flooded with CHPT3 bikes soon :-)

CEBEP

It's not always the case that what you design performs exactly how you designed it to perform. As I understand it has carbon fork, something new. Beside that Brompton said everything was redesigned beside breakes. We are yet to see how it will perform day in and day out. Hope new owners will be happy considering price of the bike.

Top Bottom