Brussels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
Eurostar to Brussels for 3 nights, with bike. Anyone have any suggestions, or must sees in that time. Thanks in advance.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In Brussels?

Blimey, not much. The square is nice...and er...the square.

Personally I would head out of Brussels sharpish, it's a dive...head to brakel or Roubaix, perhaps oudenaarde(spelling), which has a nice square.

Did a three day tour from there to Paris this year and another from London to Brussels, last year, here is a blog of some of the area if it helps.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-brussels.155837/

alicat

Legendary Member
Jonny Jeez is right. I think you can buy a Eurostar ticket that lets you go anywhere in Belgium for 24 hours afterwards so you could pop on the train somewhere else eg into the Ardennes.

Eurostar lets you do an open jaw so you could cycle to Paris then get Eurostar home.

Bodhbh

Guru
Brussels is a bit understated when it comes to 'must-see' stuff... I lived just outside for a couple of years and have a hard time thinking what to recommend. I was there on a work trip recently and highlight was just having a plod about the outskirts on foot...National Observatory, thru Uccles, stopped at a few cafes, loop around the EU district and back into town. As others have said, I'd prolly take advantage of the ES ticket being good for all Belgium and cycle back to Brussels for the last day. The Gare Central is worth having a nose in for the Art Deco interior and wierd gloomy yellow lighting.

jay clock

Massive member
I would just eat waffles. Best food in the universe. The solid stodgy Liege/Luik waffles sold on street stands not the light fluffy ones with cream and toppings (they are the Brussels ones confusingly)

U

User169

In Brussels?

Blimey, not much. The square is nice...and er...the square.

Personally I would head out of Brussels sharpish, it's a dive...head to brakel or Roubaix, perhaps oudenaarde(spelling), which has a nice square.

Did a three day tour from there to Paris this year and another from London to Brussels, last year, here is a blog of some of the area if it helps.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-brussels.155837/

Roubaix is fine if you want to ride out to the cobbles, but much more of a dump than Brussels!

U

User169

I think I'll cycle to Bruges and Ghent, definitely, and, maybe, Antwerp.

I've ridden from central Brussels to Ghent. I was glad I was with someone local - it didn't seem the easiest place to get out of.

Before you leave, take a trip to the Cantillon brewery - a short walk from the central station.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Roubaix is fine if you want to ride out to the cobbles, but much more of a dump than Brussels!
True enough but I guess it's a bit more of a cycle destination than brussels...and riding the cobbles...or at least some of them...is an experience to tick off the list.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think I'll cycle to Bruges and Ghent, definitely, and, maybe, Antwerp.
Now you're talking. Despite being pretty close, I have never managed to go to Bruges and would love to ride there from London.

I feel a weekend ride coming on.

Getting home from bruges is the issue for me, it's not on an easy transport link that I can see and I hate "riding back" the way I have come.

U

User169

True enough but I guess it's a bit more of a cycle destination than brussels...and riding the cobbles...or at least some of them...is an experience to tick off the list.

Yep. Your other suggestion, Oudenaarde, is a good one too. You can ride parts of the Tour of Flanders course and visit the Museum.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
OK, day one train to Ashford, LeShuttle to Calais, ride to Bruge, about 80 miles.
Day two, ride to Hook of Holland, about 88 miles.
Day three, Harwich to home, about 90 miles.
Sounds good although I suspect those miles would better suit a longer summer ride. I'm sure I could trim a bit here and there to make it a gentle 60 a day by taking the ferry to Dunkirk instead.

thanks

J

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
What an idiot I am. I actually get the train to Lille not to Brussels! I leave from Brussels. So I think I'll do Lille to Ghent to Brussels.

Top Bottom