BT Vision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Anyone got BT Vision, I`m looking for info, it has occurred to me that I don`t receive STV HD ( Central Scotland ) does anyone of my counterparts in the south receive ITV HD through BT Vision ? I`m thinking of binning it and changing it for a Youview box instead which I believe does receive all HD Freeview channels ?

Many new TV's have Freeview HD as standard so you can get it down the aerial.

If you are currently taking BT Vision+ from BT then AFAIK you only get the SD content.

BT get their HD content from the internet connection and you need BT Infinity broadband and a BT Youview box to access this. Check the cost to see how much extra. I don't think you can mix BT Vision/Youview as it needs the 'superfast' internet connection provided by Infinity.

Alternatively you can get a Humax Freeview box or an Amstrad made Sky HD+ box for free HD.(Avoid the Thomson makes as the software doesn't update to get all HD)(No subscription needed).

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Cheers just looking for info, currently on BT Fibre and out of contract so will phone up and play the daft laddie and see what they can do for me. I do get the feeling that Youview is the road BT are going down and the BT Vision boxes are now running down.

PS Sat TV is not an option unless I can get the use of a chain saw :biggrin:

Also currently receive some HD channels via Bt Vision just not STV ( ITV if down south )

Last edited:
If you go down the daft laddie road you might also like to ask about the extra channels option for £7 a month which gets you access to Eurosport's 1 & 2 and more cycling than you can shake a stick at.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Been off the phone to them asking about the HD issue and put through to technical support who as expected said nowt wrong that the channel ( STV HD ) is not available. Treading carefully as I have a good BB and phone deal just sorting the TV side of things. Also did you know Netflix is coming to Youview on BT !? I assume it will also come to the whole Youview platform.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well worked out a deal with them , 12 month discounted BT TV and free Youview box. Netflix now on the same platform which is good can bin the xbox now. Also appears to be a new app to allow you to watch live BT TV as well.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
new BT TV app doesn`t work on rooted phones oops ;) no biggie

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I got Tiscali TV in 2008 it became TalkTalk when TT bought Tiscali out. I was recently going to move to BT but when I rang TT up to ask how to get a Mac code they offered me their TV Plus package, which also has a Youview box, free anytime calls and fibre broadband (38 Mbps) at half price for 12 months, which works out at £14.25 per month on an 18 month contract, plus if I contact them next year they will extend the half price TV, call and broadband package - normally this is a 6 month deal only open when buying for the first time. Declaring your intention to leave does seem to work.

On price TalkTalk tend to beat BT by some distance but you don't get BT Sports thrown in as you do with BT, and I am unaware of any Netflix availability on my Youview box - my daughter has provided me with a profile on her Netflix account in return for my Dad's taxi service. Like the others you can get a monthly subscription for additional TV "boosts", e.g. Sky Sports / movies / Kids etc with a minimum period of 1 month, which allows you, for example, to get Sky or BT Sports for a single month if there is a game you fancy as a one off.

The only thing about TalkTalk is I find the customer service a bit poor, but then my son has just signed up to BT and he has had murder with them as they have delivered his internet and TV service 3 weeks late.

*Forgot to say I also paid 12 months advanced line rental for £172, which saved £20 - think line rental is slightly cheaper with BT

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Would never ever go near Talk Talk but that is my bad experience, my phone works, my BB works hence I`ve stuck with BT and the free BT Wifi has been useful. Been with a lot of providers in my time for internet and sometimes its better the devil you know! My TV,BB and Phone comes in at £46 all in for unlimited everything ( inc line rental in all of that and its fibre as well ) seemed a good deal . If I ditch my BT TV mind it save me £8 a month :tongue:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Would never ever go near Talk Talk but that is my bad experience, my phone works, my BB works hence I`ve stuck with BT and the free BT Wifi has been useful. Been with a lot of providers in my time for internet and sometimes its better the devil you know! My TV,BB and Phone comes in at £46 all in for unlimited everything ( inc line rental in all of that and its fibre as well ) seemed a good deal . If I ditch my BT TV mind it save me £8 a month :tongue:

I've heard a few people say similar about Talk Talk, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired at times and I really fancied moving to BT, partly because you get free BT Sports. I saw one package, including fibre broadband, which after the 6 month half price period was £22.50 per month, but it had a download limit of 20 GB a month, which won't be enough if you have 3 regular internet users, like we do, and you use the likes of Netflix and Youtube, which we do. I then found an unlimited usage BT package at £33.45 a month which I was going to take but that's when Talk Talk offered the same (less BT Sports) for £14.25. those prices are exclusive of line rental which I like to pay upfront to save a bit and also reduce my monthly outgoings. Things are a bit tight at present so it was a no brainer, I usually go to watch my football team live so the Sports channel would be a luxury anyway. By the time my contract expires I will probably be a bit better off (and probably sick to death of Talk Talk) so will be more likely to move to BT.

Top Bottom