Bulk buying frames + groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you had that happen to you, I am interested in adding a few items to what I sell and was looking along the lines of purchasing away.

No, but I have numerous Chinese friends who know their industry and ways of working very well. Enough to make me cautious of any bulk ordered products from China :smile:

(ex MD of £5m t/o multi-channel tech marketing company, BTW - but you don't want to know that.)
I understand all of these words but not in this order.

ISAAC_J

Saddle up and ride like the wind!
Interesting thread with some good advice and opinions! I am curious as to why Asia (China)? I would first try the EU. The EU is closer and could be competitive and higher quality. Italy for example. Most people in Italy speak English as a second language and there engineering and production methods are good - the wages and costs there would be lower than the UK. Also, I would rather deal with people only one to two hours flight away ... than the other end of the world.
That's my two pence worth. Good luck on your future endeavours!

Citius

Interesting thread with some good advice and opinions! I am curious as to why Asia (China)? I would first try the EU. The EU is closer and could be competitive and higher quality.

There is no volume frame production in the EU. The far east has been the centre of bicycle manufacture for many decades.

I wonder if there'd be more money in setting yourself up as a builder rather than bringing your own stuff in.

Customer supplies parts, you charge fee for building the cycle up. I'm guessing that in small batches, earnings would be similar, but will also be far less hassle to do.

OP
OP
timbono5

timbono5

Thanks for the link, looks promising!

Interesting thread with some good advice and opinions! I am curious as to why Asia (China)? I would first try the EU. The EU is closer and could be competitive and higher quality. Italy for example. Most people in Italy speak English as a second language and there engineering and production methods are good - the wages and costs there would be lower than the UK. Also, I would rather deal with people only one to two hours flight away ... than the other end of the world.
That's my two pence worth. Good luck on your future endeavours!

Italian frames seem to be fairly expensive. I've tried to look for frames from Poland or the Baltics but can't find much. If I could find them I'd much rather just get frames from within the EU.

I wonder if there'd be more money in setting yourself up as a builder rather than bringing your own stuff in.

Customer supplies parts, you charge fee for building the cycle up. I'm guessing that in small batches, earnings would be similar, but will also be far less hassle to do.

You're probably right but it's just not what I want to do.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Are we moving towards the "How do you make a small fortune from selling bikes? Start with a large one" question?
Although I think you are right in this case but I have often wondered why independent bike shops do not do this more often, not even at the top end carbon but the general £250-500 bike.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Some frames were built in Hungary for the American Market(Schwinn) in the 1990's. They were made of Reynolds Steel. I wouldn't think its impossible to build a bicycle frame in the EU or the States, just not as inexpensive as eastern sources.

Top Bottom