Burnham on Sea Tides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Happens at Bolton-Le-Sands too but doesn't draw as big a crowd. Maybe a man and his dog.

While walking on the sands you occasionally come across a car roof that has been uncovered by the tides.

longers said:
Happens at Bolton-Le-Sands too but doesn't draw as big a crowd. Maybe a man and his dog.

While walking on the sands you occasionally come across a car roof that has been uncovered by the tides.

I was across the bay near Ulverston when I came across a 4x4 up to its axles in the sea, the driver was adamant that he would be able to drive across the bay, this was at a spring tide:ohmy:. Just a short distance in front of him a deep gully was hidden under the water. While I was talking to him, trying to persuade him to come back, a loud hiss and patch of bubbles announced that he had a puncture. He was well and truly stuck.

Remember on the old C+ forum someone thought he could ride his bike across Morecambe Bay?

longers

Legendary Member
Hover Fly said:
Remember on the old C+ forum someone thought he could ride his bike across Morecambe Bay?

I'd have remembered seeing that. I take it he didn't have a go then?

A friend tried to talk me into doing the half marathon across the bay. No chance, did the walk with Cedric once which was a good day out.

My gran knew a chap who'd travel up from Manchester every year to swim the bay.
He died, not while swimming the bay but she's not convinced the two things aren't related.

surfgurl

It does happen very often, as the links in the local news story show.

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2009/van-trapped-on-beach-24-05-09.php

Luckily, if you can say that, it happened next to the jetty so the local rescue crew were able to get him out. If it happens a bit further down the coast at Berrow or Brean, one of the local garages comes out with a tractor and charges a £1500 rescue fee. Last month somone visiting from South Wales got their car stuck. It was cheaper for them to get their mate from home to drive his tractor over using the backroads to haul the car out.

As Summerdays said, people often have to be rescued too. The sand around here turns to mudflats not that far from the shore. About 5 or 6 years ago a 5 year old girl was killed as she had walked out too far and got stuck in the mud. We now have a hovercraft so the local rescue crews can reach people.

Gromit

Über Member
I once gave a driving lesson to someone on a beach in Wales, told her repeatedly not to go in the soft sand, did she listen? Not one bit drove strait into it. The tide started to come in, thanks to some of the locals they got us out of a big fix.

Never again.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Happens at Richmond-upon-Thames frequently. Somehow the signs saying 'Flood' don't quite get the message across to people who can't imagine there ever being a flood in suburban London.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bosham is another good one:

http://www.bosham.org/

Boham is thought to be where (or near) King Canute did his thing - he, BTW, didn't think he could command the tide, he knew he couldn't and the whole thing was done to prove to his courtiers that he was humble before the works of god, or something along those lines.

The book 50 quirky Bike Rides covers Bosham, and has a very entertaining description of a modern car drowning - once it gets to the electrics, stuff like the windscreen wipers suddenly come on...

Mind you, there are fancy appartments on Skeldergate in York, where, assuming I was daft enough to buy one, and own a car, I certainly wouldn't go away for a weekend and leave the car parked in the underground garage, since the river can come up in hours, even when York itself hasn't had a downpour...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Arch said:
Bosham is another good one:

http://www.bosham.org/

Boham is thought to be where (or near) King Canute did his thing - he, BTW, didn't think he could command the tide, he knew he couldn't and the whole thing was done to prove to his courtiers that he was humble before the works of god, or something along those lines.

The book 50 quirky Bike Rides covers Bosham, ...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyJbyKH8S0

the best bit is that the majority of riders didn't know what the plan was....

Top Bottom