England : Greater Manchester Burrs and Back Family Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've posted this on a couple of Facebook cycling groups and don't see why CC members can't come as well.

It's a mainly traffic free route from Prestwich down to cycle route 6 and along the newly surfaced, ribbon smooth Outwood Trail, thru Radcliffe onto the canal path to Bury and then some quiet roads to Burrs Country Park and the Brown Cow pub for refreshments before returning via the same route. Ten miles there and another ten back.

Suitable for children and nervous cyclists (I'm taking my 7 yr old on a tagalong). Subject to confirmation the day before depending on the weather. The ride will be on Saturday 22/06/13 and we'll meet at Prestwich Costa Coffee for a 10.30hrs depart (lots of free parking nearby).

Please let me know if you plan to come so I have an idea of numbers.

Thanks.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2631656

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Marking my interest for this. Mentioned it to Mrs Skol and she didn't rule out joining us too (the pace will drop accordingly), but if not me and the boys could be very interested in joining you just as a threesome :thumbsup:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think it will just be me and mine and you and yours on Saturday. Is 10:30hrs the best time for you as we can make it later if you want. If the weather really turns nasty how much notice do you need to cancel? Could we leave it till Saturday AM to make the decision? Cheers.

Even if no one else wants to come it will be an interesting ride out. My boys are age 10 and 7 so they should get on well with your 7yr old. Mrs Skol is still making positive comments about coming along without any encouragement from me. Meeting at 10.30 is good for us, it won't be a mad rush to get there for then.

If it is hissing down with rain we can cancel on the day. We will just have to check-in here on the forum at about 9'ish.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My forecast is that we will just about get away with the weather. There may be some dampness in the air and the odd attempt at rainfall but on the whole it will be pleasant. Is anyone else going to join us?

Getting up early to put the roofrack back on the car and change Mrs Skol's tyres to slicks.......

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Great ride out with Mr & Mrs I like Skol and their two halfpints today. Shame the youngest one managed a full over the bars somersault within a mile of the start but he was OK and soon back on the bike :B)

A pleasant ride after in dry weather on the Outwood Trail, thru Radcliffe and along the canal to Bury and The Brown Cow at Burrs for lunch. We then stopped at a playpark for a few minutes and found the P******* Fairy had been for a visit. All repaired we retraced our tracks via Philips Park for a spot of singletrack on one of the red trails ^_^

I'd hoped to get some surreptitious footage of The Golden Child but think I didn't charge my battery up properly so captured all of ten minutes before the bullet cam stopped. This is the playpark stop where everyone but me can be seen.

and here's Master Somersault, now fully recovered, tackling some singletrack with gusto and my sprog waving him round. They are courting now I believe :wub:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
All the Skols agreed it was a fantastic day and a great ride. Even Mrs Skol enjoyed it apart from the bit at the end when I tricked her into riding the Red Run at Phillips Park, it really shook her up and I am profusely apologetic :unsure:

It was a shock when the littlest Skol made his dramatic dismount at the start of the ride. He's a pro at falling off but this time I did briefly fear the worst as he was stood sobbing with one of his wrists at a funny angle. As it turned out there was nothing serious that a bit of TLC and encouragement couldn't fix and 10 minutes later the incident had been forgotten.
On the ride we saw some of these
003_zps71e92826.jpg

And one of these
006_zpsf4fbc7c4.jpg

And some of this
012_zps04204e15.jpg

M.A.C did a surprisingly quick run down the MTB trail at Phillips Park with 7yr old in tow on the tag-a-long. Here they are at the top just starting the main descent while the young Casanova looks on to make sure his belle is safe :smooch:
013_zps50a70ef8.jpg

. They are courting now I believe :wub:
He was making plans for a joint birthday party next year as we drove home afterwards. I suggested booking the BMX track at the Velodrome........

Total distance clocked by the oldest son was 21.5 miles and Mrs Skol says her derrière can account for every yard!

Top Bottom