Buses ignoring Advance Stop Lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manifietso

Clearly, buses are regularly ignoring the advance stop lines - I saw several doing so in London yesterday (Saturday), and they do it here in Coventry too.

Of course, buses aren't the only ones, but I thought it was worth singling them out as they are easily identifiable (ie by route alone if infrequent service or by bus ID number, which here is just four figures, as well as by reg), and also because of all driver types, bus drivers should be the best trained.

The question is - can we do anything about it?

From a technical perspective, the line at the "start" of the box (from direction of flow) should be no different to the line closest to the traffic lights, namely in that crossing it at red will incur three points and a fine if caught, and that seems to be the big if.

It looks though very little effort is being made to single out drivers who are commiting this offence, as opposed to those who jump the red light completely, even though the camera could be triggered by crossing the first, not the second line.

We all carry some form of recording device, so getting a picture of vehicles who are transgressing these boxes is not difficult. Doing anything with them would be much harder though - especially as a still image doesn't prove that the light is and has been red.

So that is why I ask about buses. There is no one to complain to in the case of cars, and I doubt a local council would do much about one complaint about a taxi in one place, and even then the reg would only give them the owner of the vehicle, not the driver.

A bus company on the other hand would have records of who was driving a particular bus / route at a particular tim. If challenged, is it reasonable to expect them to do anything about it?

So far, nxcoventry haven't even responded to my email about one I reported last week (had the bus number, no photo).

Should we be asking them to reprimand specific drivers, or is our best hope just to press for general better training of all bus drivers on all aspects of cycle awareness?

Norm

We all carry some form of recording device, so getting a picture of vehicles who are transgressing these boxes is not difficult. Doing anything with them would be much harder though - especially as a still image doesn't prove that the light is and has been red.
Bear in mind also that being in the box isn't illegal, only entering the box when the light is showing red.

A still image of a bus stationary in an ASZ won't count for anything as the driver could say the light was green when he entered the box.

classic33

Leg End Member
What do you do when the driver doesn't know what an ASL is? And because of this stops at the line furthest forward, in the belief that the forward most line is the stop line for him.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What counts as crossing the line? Bodywork or wheels?
The front of a bus is sometimes several meters forward of the front tyres.
So if it is only against the law for the wheels to cross the solid white line, then they could legitimately block most of an ASL.

OP
OP
Manifietso

Manifietso

Good points.

I was hoping that there could be some sort of mechanism to report ASL violations to the bus companies, and ask them to take action internally. I wasn't suggesting that we could push for prosecutions for the very reasons highlighted above. Simply making eye contact with the driver is enough to make him or her think about why we aren't too pleased. If I am in a position to take a photo again which shows the light clearly red then I'll see what I can do, but that is in a way wishing for such an occurence to happen, when I'd rather they didn't.

classic33

Leg End Member
So if it is only against the law for the wheels to cross the solid white line, then they could legitimately block most of an ASL.

I'd count the front of the vehicle, normally bodywork, as the part that would fall foul of crossing the line.
What sort of bus has bodywork over 21 feet in front of the front wheels. Be a nightmare going round corners.

OP
OP
Manifietso

Manifietso

What do you do when the driver doesn't know what an ASL is? And because of this stops at the line furthest forward, in the belief that the forward most line is the stop line for him.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

There is plenty of stuff out there about the numerous new road signs and features which have been introduced since drivers passed their test in 19xx.

Also - if there's any action we can take here, it is along the lines of education and training, not enforcement. Bus drivers should know better anyway - they go through far more training to get their PSV licence. You wouldn't accept an aircraft creeping from the taxiway without clearance for take-off, we should demand nothing but the highest standards from our bus drivers.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We don't "all carry recording devices". And if I stopped and agonised over every vehicle (motorised or otherwise) whose driver/rider decides not to follow the law I'd never get anything else done and would be considerably more stressed than I already am.

I'll focus on the tiny, miniscule, handful who do things that are actively dangerous.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

The prohibition on passing over the stop line applies to any part of the vehicle when the red light is showing; if the front of the vehicle has already crossed that line when the light goes red, it is an offence under s.36 Road Traffic Act 1988 for it to proceed further.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Clearly, buses are regularly ignoring the advance stop lines - I saw several doing so in London yesterday (Saturday), and they do it here in Coventry too.

The problem of motor vehicles abusing ASLs is not an easy one to control as there are instances where a motor vehicle can legitimately occupy one. With the bus company, I would only draw it to their attention if I saw it happen and it wasn't justified. Write a polite letter to them asking them to remind drivers to respect the ASL. If their drivers are otherwise considerate around cyclists then mention that too.

You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

GC

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The prohibition on passing over the stop line applies to any part of the vehicle when the red light is showing; if the front of the vehicle has already crossed that line when the light goes red, it is an offence under s.36 Road Traffic Act 1988 for it to proceed further.

GC
Where does it state that?

Be kind to bus drivers - let them out / wave for them to go first (it's much more pleasant than having them overtake you a few yards on). Then they'll start being kind to others.
+1 ---- with a wee tweak? The majority of bus drivers are already extremely kind to others, many of them superbly so?

I'd feel a bit ...... churlish, going around looking for buses in ASZs, personally. Happy to add it to a long list of other errors a single bus might have made, but no more.

Top Bottom