Buses ignoring Advance Stop Lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Where does it state that?

Hi Gaz,
it's contained in the stated case of Ryan v Smith [1967]1 All E.R. 611.
I can't find a version that's available online but I'm sure if you check with one of your pals in the Met he'll confirm it.

GC

Reactions: gaz

subaqua

What’s the point
Hi Gaz,
it's contained in the stated case of Ryan v Smith [1967]1 All E.R. 611.
I can't find a version that's available online but I'm sure if you check with one of your pals in the Met he'll confirm it.

GC

looking at the date( 1967) that would have been prosecuted under the TSGDR 1964 , which didn't cater for ASLs , the case law could be used for a non ASL red light violation to obtain a prosecution. as you will see from the bit I quoted from the guidance issued by the DfT they say you can continue to the 2nd line in an ASL if the signal has changed to red after you have crossed the 1st.

highly unlikely that any prosecution would be brought.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
looking at the date( 1967) that would have been prosecuted under the TSGDR 1964 , which didn't cater for ASLs , the case law could be used for a non ASL red light violation to obtain a prosecution. as you will see from the bit I quoted from the guidance issued by the DfT they say you can continue to the 2nd line in an ASL if the signal has changed to red after you have crossed the 1st.

highly unlikely that any prosecution would be brought.
The fact that the TSGDR 1964 doesn't include ASLs is a non point. As the issue is about what part of your vehicle counts as crossing the stop line.

subaqua

What’s the point
The fact that the TSGDR 1964 doesn't include ASLs is a non point. As the issue is about what part of your vehicle counts as crossing the stop line.
without being able to read the case its hard to comment , but as the 64 regs are no longer used ,yes, no prosecution would be sought for a contravention of offence set out in an outdated S.I. there may be implications for a non ASL stop line. as is the case the legal arguings all fall to how particular wording is interpreted. the vehicle is the whole thing so, technically if the light changed with front wheels over the lane and the driver continued the vehicle is passing the line at red . one could argue the driver should be anticipating a light change from his/her forward observations on the approach to the lights. perhaps that is what the 1967 case relied upon, interpretation of what is a vehicle.

I was taught that the front wheels shouldn't cross the line when you stop.

doesn't mean its a non point though

benb

Evidence based cyclist
They're not. The filter lane part was found to be inoperable right back at the beginning. DfT issued clarification effectively allowing cyclists to enter the ASL at any point. That's why most ASLs are now put in without a feeder lane.

I think the law is till lagging behind that, but I'd be astonished if plod ever bothered having a word about it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Being off the bike recently due to illness, I had to commute via First Bus, or as they are known in Bristol, Worst Bus:blush:. However, I'd say about 90% of them stop at the white line. Very few drivers would roll forwards on a red light and after raising the issue with First, they assured me that they require bus no., time, route etc to be able to act on it. They're pretty proactive on these things, especially after a bus driver here in Bristol, not a First group driver, decided to deliberately ram a cyclist with his bus. He's now doing 17 months c/o Her Majesty.

Dan B

Disengaged member
They're not. The filter lane part was found to be inoperable right back at the beginning. DfT issued clarification effectively allowing cyclists to enter the ASL at any point.
Interesting. Do you have a citation or a link or something for this?

Reactions: gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They're not. The filter lane part was found to be inoperable right back at the beginning. DfT issued clarification effectively allowing cyclists to enter the ASL at any point. That's why most ASLs are now put in without a feeder lane.
+1 to dan b's request.

Top Bottom