buying my first road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
I'm about to make the transition from MTB to road, though I've had a rode bike on loan for a couple of months.
I can't afford fortunes but have found two quite dissimilar bikes which I like the look of. I'd be appreciative if people could advise me as to which would make for a better investment. I will upgrade with time but my wife and I will soon be adopting a daughter (hopefully) so I'd prefer something I can gradually add to.
Obviously, there is the carbon/ alu issue and the different group set debate.
Your views would be most welcome and if anyone can offer a better alternative in the same price bracket, I'm all ears (or should that be eyes?)
http://m.rutlandcycling.com/281112/products/giant-defy-1-compact-road-bike-2014-black-red.aspx

http://m.feltbicycles.com/productcatalog/product/2/58947

Thanks in advance

There is no carbon/alu issue, it's just two different frame materials.

An alu bike can, (and often does), weigh less than a carbon one. Carbon is not an upgrade in anyway, as I said above it's just a different material.

The best investment will only ever be the bike that both fits you best and that you like. If it doesn't tick both these boxes it won't get used to it's full potential, simple as that.

You need to go and test ride as many different bikes as you can in your price range, it's the only way you can make a truly informed choice of what to spend your hard earned on.

razer17

You could try the Cube Peloton Pro. I have the Peloton Race, and it's a really good bike for the price, and the Peloton Pro has mostly 105 components. It's £50 more than the Defy, though, and for that price the Defy definitely looks pretty good. There's 3 bikes from Rutland Cycling in my house, and they do good service, had no problems with them, for what it's worth.

Heigue'r

Veteran
I would say that you would not be sorry with the defy if you go that route,2 weeks in with mine, all I have to do is look at it and im out on it, I went with the blue scheme, cracking bike for the money,if I knew how well they rode prior to buying it, I would of had one for £1000, £700 is a steal imo

Stantheman

I would say that you would not be sorry with the defy if you go that route,2 weeks in with mine, all I have to do is look at it and im out on it, I went with the blue scheme, cracking bike for the money,if I knew how well they rode prior to buying it, I would of had one for £1000, £700 is a steal imo

I am so tempted to get the Defy myself at that price...holding back is killing me.

Scooby03

There is a huge upgrade to carbon, BUT it has to be good carbon.

At this budget a really good quality aluminium frame is better than a cheap carbon frame.

I am currently working on our bike brand launch and am cutting up cheap carbon frames which are generally pretty horrific, old technology and flexible as cheese.

Stick to aluminium, at your budget, you can get a triple butted 6066 aluminium frame and a tapered steerer full carbon fork, then you will have all the fun and performance you will need.

Top Bottom