Cake stops - what would you like?

What is the best way to assess the quality of Cake Stop?

• Soup with a roll

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bacon butty

• Hot chocolate

• Large slice of sponge cake

• Toasted teacakes

• Very Strong Tea in Large Mugs

• Filter coffee and hot milk

• Carrot cake

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
alecstilleyedye said:
i've added (and voted for) carrot cake. on a flat run i always make sure i'm near the front to ensure that carrot cake is still available by the time i get to the café. on a hilly run, i just have to hope :smile:

Ta alec I noticed the lack of a carrot cake option when I first looked but have now voted accordingly!:biggrin:

Carrot cake and an espresso for me dans le cafe

NONE of the above :smile:

I am a bit of a tray bake fan and so millionaire's shortbread is my cake stop snack of choice. In terms of sarnies it's either cheese and baked bean or sausage and hash brown depending on what mood I'm in. And strong coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon...

Andy

Cappucino would be a definite requirement for me, and I know that for a cyclist this sounds mad, but preferably decaf as I don't take caffeine if at all possible. (I know that's a cycling oxymoron...sort of if you get my drift).

Carrot cake, bacon sannie (in Scotland it's sannie as opposed to sarnie, at least it is in the sunny west coast area, ha ha, sun, what's that?)

But everything that's been included would be a yes for me, and might be worth adding Kirstie's tray bakes because after a long ride I tend to murder a few of these as well.

(Upper body of Jan Ullrich and legs of Jan Leeming here!! :sad:)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Since meeting up with Tdr1nka and the Doc, I tend to opt for cat's brain cake (coffee and walnut), just because I like the fact that a walnut is about the size and shape of a cat's brain, a fact Tdr1nka pointed out to me.

Otherwise, I like chocolate cake, and biscuity refrigerator type cakes. But a good bacon butty is also a good benchmark...

Speicher, on Saturday, TheDoc and I did a ride of about 25 miles which took in three cafes, I think you'd like all of them!

Bokonon

Über Member
Bacon butties and tea cakes with plenty of strong black coffee are a must. Treacle sponge and custard always seems a good idea before a long climb as well, though minds may change during the climb.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This looks like it could be a more complex carbohydrate task than I first envisaged. I might have to note these comments and take a very discrete notebook with me, to record my observations and the results of the taste tests.

I can confidently predict that I may have to concentrate on a few cafes and do extensive research, so that it is accurarate and helpful. Rather than spread myself too thinly. xx(:biggrin:

Treacle sponge pudding is often available * at Speicher Towers. Perhaps I should add flapjacks to the options at the cafe. I will also look out for waffles, with maple syrup. I know that a certain very stretchy forummer has expressed a special interest in them.

*Should I sample other forms of treacliness, to compare with mine?

oxbob

"waffles, with maple syrup" Ahem!! This is an english cafe review, have as much treacle sponge as you like speicher, what's the spotted dick like btw?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I think the soup-and-a-roll is a good gauge of quality.

Soup: is it out of a packet or tin, or did they make it from scratch? Is there a choice? Is it seasonal? Does it taste of what it purports to contain?

Roll: size? Choice of bread? Do you get a nasty little plastic packet of yellow slime, or some proper butter?

It's getting to the time of year when hot soup is becoming important.

Although, I'll agree, mainly as a prelude to the cake.

There's no pastry surrounded snacking option.:evil:

Or is that just me? Carrot cake it is then

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm, in the end I had to go for carrot cake. Few places seem to sell it though. All of the other options will certainly do apart from the dreaded c drink.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I would like a cafe that knows what you want just by looking at you, and serves it without having to be asked while you collapse in a comfy chair.

I thought of this because the thread reminded me of a time when Mrs Uncle Phil and I were walking the Coast to Coast. We arrived at dusk after a long, loooooong day at a farm where we were going to camp. A chap saw us coming and without any introduction, simply asked "milk and sugar?"

Top Bottom