Calling all campers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Recommend me a tent...

I'm looking for a basic but good quality 4-berth tent. Must be easy to put up and hard-wearing.

I bought a cheapo one from Argos a while back (newbie equivalent of a full-suspension MTB for commuting?), used it twice and the fabric has already started to rip near the peg loopholes and one of the rods has cracked as well.

Any recommendations? Thank you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
Recommend me a tent...

I'm looking for a basic but good quality 4-berth tent. Must be easy to put up and hard-wearing.

I bought a cheapo one from Argos a while back (newbie equivalent of a full-suspension MTB for commuting?), used it twice and the fabric has already started to rip near the peg loopholes and one of the rods has cracked as well.

Any recommendations? Thank you.

Maz buying a tent from Argos is like buying a bike from a car shop, you get what you pay for.

You have several options to consider.

Flysheet first pitch where the inners than hang from inside and handy if you are unfortunate to pitch in the rain or inner first and then pitch the flysheet over the top.

Sewn in ground sheet or bath tub style. Bath tub better for ventilation and sewn in (SIG) better to keep the creepy crawlies and drafts out.

If there are 4 of you going don't buy a 4 berth tent unless you are all vertically challenged. You need something at least 2 berths up for the room.

You should consider getting something with a minimum hrdrostatic head rating of 3000 rating if intending to use tent in this country, basically the higher the better. Outwell and Vango's are good makes of tents and I have never been dissapointed with any I have had from them but avoid thinking you can get a good deal on e bay with the Rage and Stormproof (LOL) range, utter rubbish.

I have found this lot very good http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/ and a whole host of info can be found here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Cheers for the info, FFFF. My mate has a Vango and I was very impressed with it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've had a Colman, and an Outwell. Don't go for one of the ones with pods sticking out the sides - you need bigger pitches to fit them on (and on some sites you may have to pay for 2 pitches). I like headroom and windows. The bigger the tent the more room it takes up in the back of your car - so we have a roof box too. I agree that 4 man tent does not sleep 4, we have a 6 man tent for 5 of us. We now have the sewn in ground sheet which we like - but it does make the tent heavier/harder to dry.

Like buying a bike you need to go to the shop and see it in the flesh... find a place with those outdoor displays if you can but don't buy the display model as it may have been affected by the sun and rain.

We will probably buy a new tent next year so that we have one that is quicker to put up for weekend trips and leave our big one for week trips. It takes us about 1 hour to put it up and empty the car, and another hour to finish putting all the bedding out, and settting it out and the last pegging out.

Stick to a well known brand and definately not something cheap off ebay as mentioned above.

There are other similarities to bikes - you keep finding extra equipment you need to buy:biggrin:

4F

summerdays said:
Don't go for one of the ones with pods sticking out the sides - you need bigger pitches to fit them on (and on some sites you may have to pay for 2 pitches).

I have never had that problem when ever we have been away in our "main tent"
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outwell_Hartford_XXL_Dome_Camping_Tent.html

I say main as I have actually got 6 of various different sizes :ohmy:

I would agree about looking at them first and get a good idea of what you actually want from a tent.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I have never had that problem when ever we have been away in our "main tent"
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outwell_Hartford_XXL_Dome_Camping_Tent.html

I say main as I have actually got 6 of various different sizes :ohmy:

I would agree about looking at them first and get a good idea of what you actually want from a tent.

I've had people ask how big our tent is when we have been making a booking ... it seems to be if you get into the 9m dimensions that they start charging.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Soooo, continuing the bike analogies, what would be the camping equivalent of 'going clipless'? Hmmm...

4F

summerdays said:
I've had people ask how big our tent is when we have been making a booking ... it seems to be if you get into the 9m dimensions that they start charging.

Yes you are not wrong I have always stated the dimensions at the time of booking and so far no problems and only 1 pitch fee.

Maz if you are rolling in it then these are a good buy :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin: http://www.karstententen.co.uk/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maz said:
Soooo, continuing the bike analogies, what would be the camping equivalent of 'going clipless'? Hmmm...

For me it would be a small tent to take on the back of a bike... to do cycle touring... I'm still working myself up to clipless (got the shoes and the pedals ... just not the courage to put the 2 together). Maybe it would be a Kyham tent - its sort of jointed that locks in to make putting up the tent very very quick or those pop up tents...

Top Bottom