Calling Yorkshire folk of all persuasions

What's your preferred date?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
After checking my diary, I may be able to make the 15th, although i am due to be working till 4am that morning, but hopefully i'll be at home tucked up in bed well before then :biggrin:
Would prefer the 29th though

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Right then, preferences seem to be emerging for 1st and 29th.

Those who'd come on 1st: Bokonon, Calum, Cathryn, Colin, HelenD123, Marinyork, Spandex, Galaxy1 and me. Maybe DannyG, Gromit, ASC1951, maybe Mrs Uncle Phil.

There are others who favour 29th, including many of the above, but also Admin, Postman, Soltydog and Arch, possibly more by then.

I therefore propose that we have our ride on the 1st (that's this Sunday) and consider doing it all over again on 29th. How's that?

So, the plan: meet at the west end of the Minster (junction of High Petergate and Duncombe Place - the end with the two towers) for 10 to 10.15.

Those who are driving may prefer to use the Rawcliffe Bar Park & Ride. If you make your way from there to where the sustrans bike path passes under the A1237 (York's northern outer ring road) and lurk there for about 10.30, we'll pick you up. Alternatively, let me know you're using the car park and we'll send someone there to pick you up and guide you on to the bike path to meet up with the Minster posse.

We'll decide whether to go to Byland or just to Easingwold on the day, depending on weather, how fit we all feel and so on. There will be a pub lunch stop; other tea stops are possible.

Apart from the bike path, which is tarmac or pretty good, clean macadam, there are no off-road bits, and nothing I wouldn't be happy riding on narrow roadie tyres. Pace will be relaxed, or if there's a big group we could split up to allow for two differently-paced groups, but it'd be nice to meet up again for lunch at least.

If there are any questions, please post 'em here or pm me. I'll give you my mobile number as well (I'm not about to post it in public here) - may be useful if anyone's running late or coming on a train that'll only just get them here for ten-ish.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

jack the lad

marinyork said:
Mmmm never been through Tholthorpe or Raskelf sounds interesting.

I may join you on Sunday if that is OK. Will it be a chain gang run or will an oldie like me be able to keep up? I guess if not I can just stop when I get home as Tholthorpe is where I live. It has a council tip which most of my bikes came from (but sadly not since it was rebranded as a recycling centre under new management) a great pub (but you'll be too early for lunch) and a lovely village green and pond. Raskelf is just weird.

The proposed route looks like it goes down Linton Woods Lane which is pretty loose, muddy and sandy in parts. I wouldn't fancy it much on a racing bike, although a Galaxy type would be just about OK. The best alternative is to stay on the road through Linton on Ouse past the airfield to Aldwark rejoining the planned route at Flawith - which is all quiet country lanes (and part of the National Byway).

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Of course it's OK.

It will not be a chain gang. It will be a relaxed, sociable ride. This is CycleChat, after all.

Thanks for the gen on Linton Woods Lane - I haven't been down there in a couple of years. If in doubt, we'll do the Aldwark option.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Is one allowed to park at the park and ride and then cycle off or do something else? From my recollections of Askham Bar P&R I don't think the staff were particularly happy about it. P.S. What's the path near overton like thesedays, that was always a bit lumpy when I went along it?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I will make a note of the 29th and hope to join you then. Gives me time to get a suitable bike fettled! Have fun on Sunday. I'll be in France!

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The path bits are well-packed gravel as I recall. As long as the river hasn't flooded over them too recently, they are usually OK (maybe a few puddles).

The tarmac road through Overton has some potholes, but we shouldn't be going at such a speed that we can't dodge them!

This isn't going to be a brisk club run, so don't feel obliged to bring all your best roadie gear. Fat tyres and mudguards will be quite acceptable!

Bokonon

Über Member
Leeds people - do you want to cycle to York for this ride and then back to Leeds on Sunday? I usually do Moortown-Wike-East Keswick-Collingham-Linton-Wetherby then B1224. Does anyone want to suggest a better route? Where do you want to meet up? How long should we give it - about 2 hours?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hurrah! Think the husband is coming too.

We're going to be lightweights and get the train from Leeds. I'm rather peturbed that we'll be too slow, but whatever.....we can all start off together anyway!!

Top Bottom