camping in the gower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
this summer planning a camping holiday to the gower with sea kayaks, body boards, fishing etc.

any good campsites close to beach that will not require any driving?

TY :biggrin:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We stayed at Kennexstone last year Mr Magoo - nothing fancy but away from the roads so nice and quiet (the campsite next to the beach was very noisy) the shower block was quite new.
Campsite wasn't far from the beach - recommend it :biggrin:

Edit: jumped in too quick - you'll want the noisy one next to the beach, you probably won't want to carry your kayak from Kennexstone campsite!

U

User482

Hill End Campsite (about 2 miles from Llangennith) is the one we use too - but it's getting a bit pricey now, plus you can't book ahead.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dave5N said:
I always liked the one above three Cliffs Bay. at Penmaen IIRC

Three cliffs has to be one of the world's finest beaches.

That's a great site - you can camp almost on the cliff edge, with amazing views. Bit of a challenge carrying a sea kayak up and down, though.

South and West Gower are where all the ocean based activities take place. North Gower and the Bury Inlet are too dangerous due to the speed of the tide and the flatness of the terrain.

However, the Gower is relatively small in area and providing you get up and go early enough, then you will miss most of the tourist traffic.

There is quite a choice of campsites dotted around so don't dismiss one that appears too far away from the beach.

Dave5N

Über Member
A word of warning - especially at Three Cliffs. These beaches have some strong currents - look after the kids.

If you want a really good beach, a bit local, we spent a lot of time over many years at Fall Bay. No nearby camping, but a nice place.

Dave5N said:
A word of warning - especially at Three Cliffs. These beaches have some strong currents - look after the kids.

If you want a really good beach, a bit local, we spent a lot of time over many years at Fall Bay. No nearby camping, but a nice place.

They have a rip tide as well on many of the beaches around the northern tip of the peninsular.

My uncle has over the years had to help fish a few bods out who have come a cropper because of it (as he owned the access road to the beach from cwm ivy) he is nearly 90 though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We have stayed at Llanmadoc a couple of times... basic campsite with RULES!! (break them and you get thrown off apparently). Beach is just over a sand-dune - there is a sort of road/path down to it. May be too far on the west coast for you if currents are a problem. Last time we went it was still nice and cheap.

This might link to it?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...15598,-4.273778&spn=0.00509,0.007886&t=h&z=17

And there is a CADW site nearby that sells fantastic local sausages/burgers. (Well I thought it was CADW but I can't find it).

Top Bottom